2 way speaker with Deltalite ll 2510 & Ciare 1.38TW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,
After the break-in, the treble has significant improved. The upper frequency region is surprisingly neutral.The bass was clean, and bass extension was not lacking even it was design around 50hz, but the sense of weight and power was always there. The mid is lush and smooth, high is open and airy, cymbal and cowbell are astonishing lovely.The whole system snapped into focus at a listening range. The speaker shows its authorities that I don’t have to play loud to feel the big impact and big/wide sound stage. I don't expect a 2 ways box speaker can do this good. I leave 6 feet behind the speakers, almost 3 feet away from the side wall so to make up the best balance, and airy sound stage. When I write this report, the vibrant of the guitar is still lingering around me.
Amps I use to test this speaker: The 2A3se gives admirable sound over the range to me and it's good for vocals to my ears. The power is not that big but good enough to drive this speaker to it's best. My 300bxls 14w sounds more liquid/delicate at highs and lush lovely mids but soft at bass region, therefore it doesn't give punchy kind of bass at lower mid down. 6C33Cse and otl are just about right, they sound almost in the middle of the two but with powerful bass. After serious listening, I love the the Moskido's wide and deep sound stage than any other amp I have tried. May be it's the result of the wide bandwidth that it creates. On my test bench the Moskido shows the best square wave and sine wave over 100k. I strongly believe this speaker sings the best with all kind of amplifier. I don't have a SS amp to try. I'd imagine something like Pass F6 would send them to wonderland.
Thanks Scott 17 again for sharing and guidance.
Best Regards
Albert
Hey, don't forget I still have another pair 2510 in hand. I'd like to keep this thread rolling. I leave this open for all suggestion for making another pair so to compare with this. Any idea would be welcome. I'm good on wood and really don't mind living with dust. 5th Element, AllenB, Sreten, Dissi and Scott17 do give your ideas to help making a new pair to try.
Come and have fun.

Hello everyone,

I feel like chiming in here since I've built this speaker set. However, I'd like to add a little disclaimer saying that I'm definitely not an audio professional when it comes to making analysis of designs, but I like to think that I can hear the difference between something good and something great.

http://i.imgur.com/8Uz2fVW.jpg

I built these according to Scott17's design and though I struggled a bit with the woodworking, I think they came out beautifully. However we aren't here in this thread to discuss aesthetics... I personally really like this speaker design. I had a pair of Infinity Reference 40's which were showing their age a little (no problem for me) but the main problem with them was that they were not DIY. After a hell of a time trying to get parts all the way to Norway, I was finally able to build these.

All I can say is that paired with my KT88 tube amplifier, these rock. Especially after I found a better listening spot. Music sounds so much more detailed and fuller through this set than with the old. I was worried about them being too bright in the beginning, but after listening to them for a while, I've come to the conclusion that they really sound good. Everything sounds better than it did on my old speakers and everything is much more detailed.

Hello everyone,

I feel like chiming in here since I've built this speaker set. However, I'd like to add a little disclaimer saying that I'm definitely not an audio professional when it comes to making analysis of designs, but I like to think that I can hear the difference between something good and something great.

http://i.imgur.com/8Uz2fVW.jpg

I built these according to Scott17's design and though I struggled a bit with the woodworking, I think they came out beautifully. However we aren't here in this thread to discuss aesthetics... I personally really like this speaker design. I had a pair of Infinity Reference 40's which were showing their age a little (no problem for me) but the main problem with them was that they were not DIY. After a hell of a time trying to get parts all the way to Norway, I was finally able to build these.

All I can say is that paired with my KT88 tube amplifier, these rock. Especially after I found a better listening spot. Music sounds so much more detailed and fuller through this set than with the old. I was worried about them being too bright in the beginning, but after listening to them for a while, I've come to the conclusion that they really sound good. Everything sounds better than it did on my old speakers and everything is much more detailed.

You hear what I hear......Ah..This is something hear to believe.

Crossover modification

Albert (albertli), Eric (erics84), and anyone else interested, I have a crossover modification that only requires changing 3 parts for the 1.38TW: The capacitor changes from 6.2uF to 6.8uf, the inductor changes from 0.91mH to 0.33mH, the series l-pad attenuator resistor changes from 3 ohm to 5 ohm. You can try values ranging from 4 ohm to 6 ohm depending on your preference. I am using 5 ohm. I had a few people comment that the speaker is maybe a little bright for certain types of music, so the change. This modification does flatten the response compared to the original.

I have attached the crossover model for the original vs the modified version. I just moved to Florida and all my test equipment is packed up so I have not been able to do a live test, but I like the results.

Attachments

• 2510-1.38tw_orig.jpg
    2510-1.38tw_orig.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 2510-1.38tw_mod.jpg
    2510-1.38tw_mod.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 2510-1.38tw_xovermod.jpg
    2510-1.38tw_xovermod.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 252
Glad to hear that you are still listening to the speakers. I've been using my Altec 604s lately, but since I moved after I retired there's no room for them so I'm now using the towers again. I'm looking forward to hearing what your thoughts are about the mod. I've been meaning to do this change for quite a while.

The parts came in today and I've made the swap with 6ohm resistors I also have 4.7 in my hands but I opted to give this a try.

I never really felt like the tweeters were harsh before, but now I hear a definite reduction. Maybe I wasn't bothered before because I worked at a shotgun range as a teenager, but the few songs I've managed to play (at lowish volume due to a newborn in the house) give markedly less fatigue. I'm definitely happy with the change so far, but I won't be able to do a true test for a little while. I'm looking forward to turning it up to 11.

Thanks Scott for following up with this design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.