Dome Midranges - Why Bother?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• GBS135-curve.jpg
    GBS135-curve.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Hi,

Dome midranges are generally not designed for horn loading.
Obviously compression drivers are designed for horn loading.

rgds, sreten.

You know if you keep writing things that make sense I'm not sure you will be able to call yourself an "audiophile" without getting lolled at :confused:

Generally mid-domes don't make sense, that's why generally they are not bothered with :cool:

If you like to watch nature shows with small creatures (rodents come to mind) mating and whatnot, then mid-domes are probably for you :D

I believe female duck-billed-platypus orgasm is centered around 956 Hz so perfect for most mid-domes

More free advice: anyone writes the word "waveguide" just stop reading right there and move on :p:geezer:

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You know if you keep writing things that make sense I'm not sure you will be able to call yourself an "audiophile" without getting lolled at :confused:

Generally mid-domes don't make sense, that's why generally they are not bothered with :cool:

If you like to watch nature shows with small creatures (rodents come to mind) mating and whatnot, then mid-domes are probably for you :D

I believe female duck-billed-platypus orgasm is centered around 956 Hz so perfect for most mid-domes

More free advice: anyone writes the word "waveguide" just stop reading right there and move on :p:geezer:

you are sick!

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The problem with most dome midranges I know of is that they are suspended only by the surround, allowing them to rock sideways. This ATC has a double suspension preventing this problem.

Utter nonsense! There is no proof of rocking sideways. Please provide evidence when you make a claim like that.

It's covered in 'High performance Loudspeakers', by M Colloms (i only have 4th ed. - extract on exactly this below); also 'Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook' - John Borwick; and, iirc, Newell & Holland in 'Loudspeakers For music recording and reproduction'.

That do?

To clarify - the (rare!) double suspension about having enough constraint that the VC and therefore dome can only move pistonically in the magnet gap; it's not cure for all modes the dome itself might be susceptible to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 20.54.52.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 20.54.52.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
"What we have here
is a failure
to communicate"

Midrange is too vague a term w/o qualification.
A 2" dome is not going to be happy crossed at 300hz like a 6" cone. And you won't likely cross the 6" to a 'tweeter' at 4800hz. Horses for courses.
The rocking thing is like a political talking point. I have seen no provable model to support the arguement, but it gets repeated without scrutiny. ANY driver driven well past it's designed range will move in unplanned ways, but picturing it in your head does not make it so.

If you examine a few hundred failed speakers' voice coils, you will see that 'rocking modes' are quite common in long travel drivers, and not in short travel ones. Like tweeters and mids. \

You can tell because the one big destructive excursion(DC pulse, finger poke) does not polish the wire exposed by rubbing, while failing surrounds are long-term events and polish the metal exposed by the coating being worn away.

It's a lot like when a piece of metal snaps, you often see both shiny smoothe and dull crystalline areas at the break. The dull is the new, last fracture.

As to Colloms' assertions, that is all they are. We have had laser interferometry for fifty years, and folks like Celestion, Harman, JBL, have not showed this to be even a common overdrive failure mode. You cannot argue against evolution by quoting Aristotle, venerated though he may be. I also appreciate Lynn Olson's opinions on many things, but not without examination.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.