Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

World's Best Tweeters Face-off :: Subjective comparison
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 09:16 PM   #441
etalon90 is offline etalon90  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sold my AMT Beyma and Raal too
I must be deaf or something...
Old 12th June 2019, 09:39 PM   #442
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

My Raals are still going strong, after being hornloaded down to 2kHz for 2-3 years. Going to add another compression driver for upper midrange to see how that sounds like. I have had an allergy for anything heavier than .001 grams-something in the high frequency for a while.

What did you go for instead? Plasma? Bluetooth portable speaker?
Old 12th June 2019, 11:45 PM   #443
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind View Post
My Raals are still going strong, after being hornloaded down to 2kHz for 2-3 years. Going to add another compression driver for upper midrange to see how that sounds like.
Interesting. Please keep us posted. I have TPL-150H and have considered a 2" CD for the midrange but have to buy the CD and grew concerned of the center to center distance between such large tweeter and midrange, at 2kHz. Interested in learning how things pan out for you.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:59 PM   #444
diyAudio Member

One word. Iwata. it shrinks a large horn vertically and also has a more relaxed sound than round horns. This system has to be time-aligned in DSP for space constraints. The directivity suffers so you have to sit and stare into the throat to get good highs. And with a deep horn it is no longer in supertweeter territory. I almost need another pair of Raals above ~10kHz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20190608_221938-02.jpeg (77.2 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by Rewind; 13th June 2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:50 AM   #445
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One word. Iwata. it shrinks a large horn vertically and also has a more relaxed sound than round horns. This system has to be time-aligned in DSP for space constraints. The directivity suffers so you have to sit and stare into the throat to get good highs. And with a deep horn it is no longer in supertweeter territory. I almost need another pair of Raals above ~10kHz.
Your nice and dark room is...eeee...dark! not sure what I should see.
Iwata was in the cards. Still seems c-to-c would be large for 2kHz xo. But then I haven't tried it.
DSP time alignment is part of the system. No problem.
I wouldn't use the CD horn above 2kHz so directionally in the treble wouldn't be that big of an issue.

How low do you plan to take the midrange horn? 2kHz down to...?
Old 13th June 2019, 07:07 AM   #446
diyAudio Member

Forgot to switch the light on. I will start with 1400Hz and then I don't know. People use Raal from 12kHz, but I think that is wasteful.

The Fane Studio 8M is not doing much at the moment and probably never will. The 15" will hopefully be replaced by a midbass compression driver soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20190609_195549-01.jpeg (114.8 KB, 271 views)
Old 15th June 2019, 02:48 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Forgot to switch the light on. I will start with 1400Hz and then I don't know. People use Raal from 12kHz, but I think that is wasteful.
Starting at 1400Hz for the Raal or for the midrange CD? Rather low for the Raal and rather high for the midrange
Old 15th June 2019, 05:31 AM   #448
diyAudio Member

No, I mean 1400Hz or upwards for the second channel of comöression drivers. But impossible to say if I like it when the horns are done.
Old 15th June 2019, 07:34 AM   #449
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Wow, those really looked like a mouth with fully lips !
Old 15th June 2019, 07:45 AM   #450
diyAudio Member

They have been called worse.

World's Best Tweeters Face-off :: Subjective comparisonHide this!Advertise here!