Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

World's Best Tweeters Face-off :: Subjective comparison
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2015, 06:41 PM   #21
WTS is offline WTS  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jonasz, where did you read this about Vapor stating this? Sounds interesting. What do you think Jon, can you wrangle a pair from Chris to try?
Old 17th September 2015, 07:21 PM   #22
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBocani View Post
that's what i heard.

not sure if i want to spend the money to find out, though.
That's my experience from working with all three. It's also easy to verify with measurements due to the Beyma's laser beam like top end dispersion. Which aside from price, is it's only downfall. FYI, I also found it very easy to work with when using passive components.
Old 17th September 2015, 07:50 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Face,
"passive components", there in lies a big problem when comparing drivers. Different caps have different sound signatures. One cap may make a tweeter sound great and another cap may make it sound mellow, whereas those same two caps may make another tweeter sound the opposite. As I've found that out many years ago, of course I didn't bother to update my caps, lol.
Which to me is a vote for any driver that doesn't require a DC blocking cap. All transformer coupled style tweeters like ribbons require a cap of some value, dome drivers and I believe the AMT can be a direct connection to your amp, providing of course you are using a digital xover ahead of your amp and your amp doesn't have a dc offset or large turn-on thumps.
Old 17th September 2015, 08:43 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post
Face,
"passive components", there in lies a big problem when comparing drivers. Different caps have different sound signatures. One cap may make a tweeter sound great and another cap may make it sound mellow, whereas those same two caps may make another tweeter sound the opposite. As I've found that out many years ago, of course I didn't bother to update my caps, lol.
Which to me is a vote for any driver that doesn't require a DC blocking cap. All transformer coupled style tweeters like ribbons require a cap of some value, dome drivers and I believe the AMT can be a direct connection to your amp, providing of course you are using a digital xover ahead of your amp and your amp doesn't have a dc offset or large turn-on thumps.
Did you miss where I mentioned measurements?

As for caps, I generally only use CC MR or ESA.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:12 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, I guess I must have, lol.

Two of those are reasonably priced but the MRs can be expensive, depending on the value(s) they can add up very quick.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:35 PM   #26
zeepup is offline zeepup  Canada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post
Hmmm, I guess I must have, lol.

Two of those are reasonably priced but the MRs can be expensive, depending on the value(s) they can add up very quick.
What are the prices for each unit ?
Old 17th September 2015, 09:38 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I don't know off hand but if you go to Parts Connexion you can get them.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:45 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeepup View Post
What are the prices for each unit ?
Check out Madisound.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:51 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

A little more expensive from Madisound and considering you are in Canada it would be less expensive for you to go to Parts Connexion.
Old 17th September 2015, 11:43 PM   #30
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ribbon Tweeter - capacitor?

World's Best Tweeters Face-off :: Subjective comparisonHide this!Advertise here!