Multi driver benefits? Greater octave range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my next build, I'm looking at a 4 way active system using multi drivers (two woofers plus possibly two mids), plus a sub in a separate box. All using the DSP 4X10HD. Since I already have the tweeters, I'll be using the Fountek X3.0. The subs are Dayton 12" RS315, each in sealed boxes. For the woofers, I'm looking at either a pair of 8"SB, or the 7" Satori. The mids will be either the Seas Nextel, SS D7608 or??? Considered Accuton, but a little too expensive.
1. The real question I have is: Besides SPL, is the benefit of using multi drivers (2 mids or 2 woofers) that they have greater range? In that they can go lower or higher in terms of crossover points?
2. And can anyone let me know if the Fountek X3.0 will be a good match with the Seas Nextel mids/SS D7608 and the SB or Satori woofers? Any other recommendations for the woofers or mids? (I don't want to change the tweeters or subs, because I already bought them.
My last build was a modified Troels PMS in a traditional sealed box, with passive XO by Madisound. Good, but not great. I'm looking for great now.
Thanks, John:confused:

Last edited:
Using two mids is generally not a good idea as you will get interference between them due to the distance between them being significant in comparison to the wavelengths they are producing.

Using two drivers will make zero difference to their frequency range. Generally speaking if you need them to go lower you need a bigger driver.

What was lacking with your PMS? Was the Madisound crossover exactly as specified in the build guide?

A 4-way speaker is not really a novice project. Without measuring equipment you won't get the most out of the drivers.

My PMS really isn't a PMS. It's in a regular "monkey coffin" box with the SEAS coated paper cones (27TDFC, 15RCY and 26RFX) and a XO custom designed by Madisound using their LEAP. I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 8.2 which I bought used, which are 22 years old now. I was hoping my build would sound better, but I don't think it does. Maybe only in the mids - the vocals. My friend had the original Infinity Kappas when there were brand new in the 1980's, and I'm trying to get sound somewhat similar. It was super clear, with fantastic highs, great mids and very dynamic. Not a whole lot of bass, but the bass was very tight and accurate. I miss that sound - trying to get close to it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.