The smallest size compression driver and horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JBL M2 and 7 Series monitors.

Audiophiles do use the M2 now, and the 7 series has a buzz among the HT enthusiasts although it is a new product. Time will tell if they are as good as the specs suggest, and whether audiophiles will try them.

I have heard the baby brother of these, the 3 series in a hifi setting and I was impressed. It does not have a compression driver like M2 and 7, but instead uses a dome tweeter with similar design waveguide to the big brothers. Tone and overall sound in the room was excellent.

The Fostex FT17H is a compression-type driver with a "horn", but more of a super tweeter. (..it also has more in common with the BMS compression drivers, not your standard compression driver with multi-path phasing plug.)

Here it is in what has got to be close to (if not) the biggest rip-off in all of "high-end" loudspeaker's:

6moons audio reviews: Kiso Acoustic HB-1

This is a pretty small exit standard compression driver:

B&C Speakers

"Can anyone name a small-box hifi speaker that was marketed with a compression driver tweeter?"

The original Boston A40.

e.jpg

JBL put the same driver on bigger horns in a couple of their models, HLS610/810.

"Can anyone name a small-box hifi speaker that was marketed with a compression driver tweeter?"

The original Boston A40.

e.jpg

JBL put the same driver on bigger horns in a couple of their models, HLS610/810.

Interesting. I'm not sure if I'd call that a compression driver or not. There is a phase plug etc, but typical CDs tend to have a ~10:1 compression ratio...

Chris

I got to wondering about small speakers and the question arose: what is the smallest (tweeter) compression driver (and horn) readily available?
Can anyone name a small-box hifi speaker that was marketed with a compression driver tweeter?
The real McCoy should be Klipsch R-14M, it has small box (dictated by the midwoofer, not the horn!) and a proper compression driver with horn:
R-14M Bookshelf Monitor Speaker | Klipsch
Your request for the smallest driver/horn is a bit unusual - what is the rationale behind that? Small horn dimensions equals high cut-off frequency. Very small, but good compression driver with horn is Eminence APT80:
http://www.eminence.com/speakers/supertweeter-detail/?model=APT80

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not sure if I'd call that a compression driver or not. There is a phase plug etc, but typical CDs tend to have a ~10:1 compression ratio...

Chris
typical compression driver diameter:throat diameter tends to be around 2:1
This gives a 4:1 compression ration (by area of dome diameter:area of throat).

to get 10:1 compression one would need a dome:throat diameter ratio in excess of 3:1

The horn size is related to the lowest usable frequency.

If instead of using 800Hz to 1500Hz as your lowest CD frequency you go up to around 3kHz you automatically end up with a horn of less than half the diameter.
then just add on a nice generous radius into the front panel as determined by your mid and lower drivers and the space they need around them.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

The original Boston A40.

e.jpg

Is that really a CD? I have a Boston HD5 and tweeter has same look and triple spoke phase plug but it looks more like a Mylar dome tweeter on mine.

The B&C 6.5inch coaxial 6FHX51 has got to have one of the smallest CD's ever - with a full waveguide.
http://www.parts-express.com/bc-6fhx51-65-professional-coaxial-speaker-70-x-70-8-ohm--294-5761

file

Last edited:
typical compression driver diameter:throat diameter tends to be around 2:1
This gives a 4:1 compression ration (by area of dome diameter:area of throat).

to get 10:1 compression one would need a dome:throat diameter ratio in excess of 3:1

Ah, but that's not the compression ratio. CDs have phase plugs with slots to guide the pressure wave. The area of these slots can be very small indeed.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.