How to measure to determine correct port length in bass-part?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to finish my bass-compartments. They have 8" drivers in them, but I am having difficulties deciding on port length.

What measurements can I make with e.g. REW to check what works? Is there any way to do e.g. a 10 - 200 hz sweep and then look at curves?

isobaric results in a half volume box.
When that is vented, it becomes a bit difficult finding room for the port volume AND keeping the port end away from adjacent internal surfaces AND away from the back of the driver cone.

You may have to build two bigger boxes and use two bass speakers to solve this vent port problem.

BTW, a smaller box requires a LONGER port, than a bigger box tuned to the same frequency.

Well, if it helps, the box is the bottom of a Kudos Titan T88. I bought cabinets and I am making my own variant.

The drivers are Seas CD22RN4X x 2 in each box.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• diyaudio.png
    diyaudio.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Ta inn hele skjermen 08.08.2015 151640.jpg
    Ta inn hele skjermen 08.08.2015 151640.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 244
So it seems this is not really about port design, but about reverse engineering something you like the look of? Sometimes designers make compromises to make things look good, Your difficulties with WinISD are only beginning to make that clear to you. Are you using 2 of those woofers in parallel or series? Not that it matters significantly for box design (except for inductance)...

What are your SPL expectations? If you don't expect to drive them to limits, a 40-50mm diameter port might be sufficient for a 10" woofer, if you flare the entrance and exit generously. If you want lots of SPL, I would suggest you use a passive radiator instead of the port.

Here's a (peak) port velocity chart for two woofers in parallel with 2.83Vrms input, 15 liters tuned to 32Hz with a 40mm dia x ~220mm long vent. So if you take the 17m/s rule of thumb (~34m/s flared), this design is good to 6-12Vrms before port noise becomes objectionable.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.png
    Clipboard02.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 41
So it seems this is not really about port design, but about reverse engineering something you like the look of? Sometimes designers make compromises to make things look good, Your difficulties with WinISD are only beginning to make that clear to you. Are you using 2 of those woofers in parallel or series? Not that it matters significantly for box design (except for inductance)...

What are your SPL expectations? If you don't expect to drive them to limits, a 40-50mm diameter port might be sufficient for a 10" woofer, if you flare the entrance and exit generously. If you want lots of SPL, I would suggest you use a passive radiator instead of the port.

Here's a (peak) port velocity chart for two woofers in parallel with 2.83Vrms input, 15 liters tuned to 32Hz with a 40mm dia x ~220mm long vent. So if you take the 17m/s rule of thumb (~34m/s flared), this design is good to 6-12Vrms before port noise becomes objectionable.

Two woofers in parallell.

I have not any specific SPL expectations, but I never listen at very high levels (90+dB)

I can also fit a larger vent, but then would have to use a 90-degree angled one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.