Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

S. Harsch XO
S. Harsch XO
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2018, 04:53 PM   #631
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalthor View Post
Is there a simple solid argument for the step response to be important?
Great question IMO...one I've struggled with alot. And not just for step response, but for impulse response as well.....

Because I keep coming back to this....
When I get ruler flat magnitude and phase...both of them ruler flat...Then step response looks awesome, as does impulse.

Heck, I think all measurements are just mag and phase shown in various ways...

And I now think step and impulse are the same thing, just shown differently.
Impulse response is so heavily weighted to the top end, I only use it to fine tune timing above maybe 6kHz. Impulse is also good at letting me see when room reflections are messing up measurements, but that's about it at my current state of learning. I don't know how to glean much from step yet, other than see how it improves with mag and phase.

So, mag and phase I know how to measure and tune.....
And 'everything' improves with their improvement.
I often wonder why I need more measurements, all they do is seem to confirm good basic measurement..I guess we need them for the room....
Old 7th December 2018, 05:10 PM   #632
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Because I keep coming back to this....
When I get ruler flat magnitude and phase...both of them ruler flat...Then step response looks awesome, as does impulse.
Agreed. But most speakers only have flat amplitude response. To get phase flat as well some effort is needed. Therefore most speakers sporting a linear amplitude response are lacking in the time-domain.

Regards

Charles

S. Harsch XOHide this!Advertise here!