Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Castle Trent 2 Tweeter
Castle Trent 2 Tweeter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2015, 09:25 PM   #1
bikelectro is offline bikelectro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Castle Trent 2 Tweeter

I was dismayed to discover one of the tweeters silent on these speakers i have loved for 20 years!
Checked output at the crossover ok, found the tweeter to read about 1K, so unfortunately not broken at the leadouts where a repair can be done. The other reads about 8R. I play loud, but not to have overloaded, but maybe so? I can see the ferrofluid still looking wet in the gap.
Has anyone been through this and where to get a pair of tweets to suit, any ideas most welcome!
Old 9th July 2015, 09:52 PM   #2
nannoo is offline nannoo
diyAudio Member

Post a picture please?
Old 9th July 2015, 10:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry i'm on an ipad and can't figure out how, can select them but no more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (863.1 KB, 199 views)
Old 9th July 2015, 10:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh, did it! The trim piece comes off the front as shown, it is actually a cone tweeter.
Old 10th July 2015, 02:29 AM   #5
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ooh, a mylar cone tweeter! Good sound.

Monacor SPP-90: SPP-90

Monacor HT-22: HT-22/8

Visaton FRS 5X (Which will need an enclosure): FRS 5 X - 8 Ohm

Visaton TW70: TW 70 - 8 Ohm

Some attenuation required too. A couple of resistors. You'll need to work out the crossover circuit. HW 2/70 NG - 8 Ohm
Old 10th July 2015, 01:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't have much facilities for getting the response correct. Also cannot find any specs for the model. Does anyone know the crossover freq?
Old 10th July 2015, 01:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You only need your ears to set tweeter level.

Thing is, you have the speakers in front of you. So since no-one on the entire internet seem to have rolled their sleeves up and delved, it looks like you have to do it here.

Looks like a simple second order 3kHz crossover to me, but I'd need to know the component values.

I have already given you a choice of 4 similar tweeters. Which one fits easiest?

Putting a 22R 10W wirewound across the tweeter and a maybe 6 ohm in series at the front of the filter won't be hard. Wirewound Resistors - Resistors | Maplin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Castle Trent.JPG (34.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 10th July 2015, 05:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'll check out the crossover over the weekend, the cabinet has no rebate for the tweeter, so it should be easy to fit some of those suggestions. There are some on originals Ebay, but they are pricey and maybe near death, I think its best to find some new and maybe better ones.
Old 11th July 2015, 02:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Of course, why pay inflated ebay prices for a twenty year old tweeter!

That circuit board looks like it has plenty of room for soldering in a couple of 99p resistors to adjust level...

Believe me, you will get these speakers sounding good again. Ideally you'll replace both tweeters for a match. IMO, cone tweeters have a uniquely good sound whatever they are made of. Put me down as a fan.

Measure the cutout size of the tweeter to make some progress, and do what you can with component values, especially capacitors. If you get serious, I'll sim the circuit to give you an accurate first guess on resistor values.
Old 11th July 2015, 02:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Cheers for that offer, I'm not an expert at design and modding, just fault -finding and repair. i did try changing the tweeter series cap to a film type, but put the NP back in as it made them too bright and i didn't have faith in my abilities to get them balanced. I still have the caps, so i shall now use them.
The cutout is 66mm diameter, the tweeter cap is 4uF, the other is 8uF, the two inductors are both ferrite cored, but no values printed on them.
I was also wondering would Falcon, Wilmslow or Wembley Speakers have worked out a match for this, as it was used in a lot of Castle Models.

Castle Trent 2 TweeterHide this!Advertise here!