Domes Vs Ribbons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking at the Statement 2's for a while now and I'm STRONGLY considering taking the plunge on building a pair, mainly due to there strong similarities to a Commercial speaker avaliable that i really like

Now the one part i can't seam to come to terms with is the ribbon tweeter.

Im very partial to the look of Domes over ribbons, but i have not really experienced Ribbon tweeters before.

Whats peoples preference on the subject, are you a Ribbon or Dome person.

And horn too i guess :)

Im very partial to the look of Domes over ribbons, but i have not really experienced Ribbon tweeters before.

Whats peoples preference on the subject, are you a Ribbon or Dome person.

And horn too i guess :)

If you can hear them side by side, close your eyes and let your ears decide. You don't hear with your eyes. Don't let them pollute your experience.

I have a nice pair of horns that my wife thinks are ugly as sin....but....she'll admit that she's never heard anything sound better.

With my Intimates speakers, I started out with SS domes...

Hi Doc,

the issue with this "sine cap" simple XO filters is that they are not capable
of employing all the driver qualities. I have simulated your drivers by tracing
the official graphs, calculating the baffle step of the PE cabinet and using ctc
distance and filter you've published with other pictures. For the acoustic offset
I used 15 mm. I haven't simulated the box volume. The upper graph
represents your own filter, the lower one is a higher order filter modification.
Listening vertically off-axis does present a reason to conclude that something
may be wrong with the dome tweeter, only this is not the
case.

Attachments

• 0 deg.jpg
    0 deg.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 519
  • 2deg86.jpg
    2deg86.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 5deg71.jpg
    5deg71.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 492
  • 8deg53.jpg
    8deg53.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 477
  • 14deg04.jpg
    14deg04.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 491
  • 19deg29.jpg
    19deg29.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 74
Hi Doc,

the issue with this "sine cap" simple XO filters is that they are not capable
of employing all the driver qualities. I have simulated your drivers by tracing
the official graphs, calculating the baffle step of the PE cabinet and using ctc
distance and filter you've published with other pictures. For the acoustic offset
I used 15 mm. I haven't simulated the box volume. The upper graph
represents your own filter, the lower one is a higher order filter modification.
Listening vertically off-axis does present a reason to conclude that something
may be wrong with the dome tweeter, only this is not the
case.

I'm flattered Lojzek that you went to the trouble of doing those simulations of polar responses with the sine cap type crossover. My measurements of the Intimates using Holmimpulse and a calibrated ECM mic show otherwise.
NO DIP.
But hey, lets not hijack this thread....

Attachments

• intimates polars response.jpg
    intimates polars response.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 89
Everybody likes the look of domes. :D

It's the elegant looking symettry of the sphere. But audio is about a spectrum of solutions and geometries.

And don't be deceived. The soft dome is not everybody's cup of tea sonically. As speakerdoctor says, the toroidal Vifa XT25 ring radiator works better on theoretical grounds, as do rigid metal domes. It's to do with the breakup modes and "musicality". FWIW, cone tweeters deal with breakup better too.

Now, I don't see why a cylindrical planar radiator might not work well too. But there are clearly a variety of ways of driving the radiating surface.

I've never heard a Mundorf AMT, so you must decide if you want to throw money at one. I'm just having fun with geometry here, but I think it's relevant.

Attachments

• Gaussian Curvature in Geometry.jpg
    Gaussian Curvature in Geometry.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Morel_CAT298_SoftDome.JPG
    Morel_CAT298_SoftDome.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 90
  • SEAS_Metal_Dome.JPG
    SEAS_Metal_Dome.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Vifa_XT25_RingRadiator.JPG
    Vifa_XT25_RingRadiator.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Visaton TW70 Cone Tweeter.jpg
    Visaton TW70 Cone Tweeter.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 67
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a Heil AMT (pleated ribbon I suppose ) and it sounds wonderful. Perhaps the best tweeter ever? I have recently tested some budget priced Dayton DC28F-8 silk dome tweeters with a TG9FD for mids and the combo sounds quite stunning. Great dynamic range. I am warming up to a soft dome, but feel they lack weight when used without a dedicated midrange.

shapes are important
I like concave cones - for wide band dispersion , they tradeoff the upper end response for that!
best for midbass and midranges but could be good for direct radiator tweeters ~3/4 diameters > think legendary Focal TC120 design varieties
heck pros use inverted tweeter domes mated to phase plugs loaded into horns for decades.

My measurements of the Intimates using Holmimpulse
and a calibrated ECM mic show otherwise. NO DIP.

Your measurements are done horizontally and you don't get to
see the dips there. You can't avoid dips vertically as I've showed,
because the drivers are not point source. The point was not to
hi jack the thread, it was to show what a crossover filter can do.
Sometimes people draw wrong conclusions, thinking less is more,
not this time though.

Your measurements are done horizontally and you don't get to
see the dips there. You can't avoid dips vertically as I've showed,
because the drivers are not point source. The point was not to
hi jack the thread, it was to show what a crossover filter can do.
Sometimes people draw wrong conclusions, thinking less is more,
not this time though.

I don't listen vertically off axis. In fact I've notice a limitation of the AMT's in that regard as I am working with them now, but DON'T CARE.

All passive XO's are a compromise of one sort or another. Visit John Kreskovsky's Music and Design page to see his examples of how every passive topology has some sort of polar limitation that's less than ideal.

You do notice the lack of vertical output in ribbons, but I DO care, as it helps reduce the ceiling reflection of sound, which is one of the few things I loathe about domes. Above 5k they are sublime, although in common with ribbons, the problems all seem to be below this point. With domes, you merely have the option to run them low enough to suffer the polar bloom, which many including me find irritating.

Waveguided domes can be quite nice, and the Audax I have despite the rougher frequency response have a nicer polar 'focus' than the visaton, which better then in all other regards. I really should buy visatons waveguide faceplate adapter for them.

Ring radiators seem interesting, but I've never heard them, and I imagine they also suffer the same polar bloom at the lower end of their response, unless waveguided very well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.