"ok" to use a tweeter lower than suggested with horn/waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I've been intrigued by this topic ever since I found Amphion's pro line of monitors. The thing that I always found odd, however, is that upon learning what tweeter driver they used (response is from 2000-20khz), yet....their crossover point is at 1600hz. I find that quite intriguing in that use the tweeter 400hz lower than the manufacturer recommends it to be used. Is it because of the horn loading/implementation of a waveguide that allows them to pull it off?

(I ask because I'm interested in horn loading an AMT to lower its response after having learned and been inspired by Amphion's lowered crossover point)

Many thanks in advance guys. Much love

No problem at all, as long as the excursion is kept within reasonable THD.
1. The horn rises the frequency response at the tune frequency. You get a big hump.
2. The excursion of tweeter in (1) is the same as without horn.
3. To get flat frequency response, you need to flatten-out the hump you've got in (1), thus reducing applied power to tweeter at the frequency of interest, thus lowering it's excursion at horn's hump frequency.
This way you get much less excursion compared to the tweeter without horn. This leads into much better distortion figures, less excursion, so you are able to use lower cut-off point.

Yes you can get away with it but Amphion is probably not the best example of getting it right.
A canadian research institute measured them and found 10% THD from the midwoofer and Which Hifi magazine in the UK described their sound as 'disjointed'.
Nevertheless they somehow became the latest flavour of the month, due to celebrity endorsement I suspect.
I believe an all round superior version of practically the same is this Visaton kit:
STUDIO 2

where should these google links be taking me?

I am getting sent to a Google input screen asking me for personal information that Google will probably share with millions of others !

I get the same thing when I haven't cleared my browser's cache.. I shut it down and use CCleaner to clean things up, then go back to the link and it should work.

It's Dave's measurements from various waveguide projects.

Here is Dave's commercial site:

acoustic waveguides

Is this for an elliptical waveguide truncated for a flat baffle?

I can't see it either, I think google is limiting views to force more people to join them.

All waveguides for different drivers.

Specifically a few ellipticals for the AC (Aurum Cantus) AST2560

Hmm, lets try this again:

https://plus.google.com/101632266659473725850/posts

That worked for me.. but you'll need to click on "photos" for the listing with the AST2560

Yes you can get away with it but Amphion is probably not the best example of getting it right.
A canadian research institute measured them and found 10% THD from the midwoofer and Which Hifi magazine in the UK described their sound as 'disjointed'.
Nevertheless they somehow became the latest flavour of the month, due to celebrity endorsement I suspect.
I believe an all round superior version of practically the same is this Visaton kit:
STUDIO 2
your talking about another model of old amphion which use a 4inch midwoofer, the ion+ http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index

the pro15 use a 5 inch and pro18 use 6.5 inch
op talks about the pro line not the ion which do measure bad.
how do u figure the visaton studio kit is the same as amphion!? lol celebrity endorsement! lol.

the pro line is not even 1% distortion.
look the new resolution magazine measurements http://www.amphion.fi/files/4914/5042/8899/review_two18_resolution_1215.pdf

op, the tweeter on amphion pro line is not available, they are built by amphion

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.