stryke audio speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
S1-MTM

I just purchased a pair of these sealed cabinets and am in the process of researching the components. I am still very much a newbie speaker builder.

The cutouts on each cabinet are ready for a pair of 7" drivers and a tweeter with a 3" dia magnet.

Stryke sells the SA071 7" driver for a great price ($14 each currently), but they seem like average sound quality.

I wanted to buy a pair a slightly better 7" drivers ($40-50 price range). Can anyone make some recommendations?

For the tweeter I was considering using a horn tweeter, but they seem to be a special class of component... what do I need to know about horn tweeters to effectively use one in my design?

My other thought was to turn this cabinet into a 3-way design. Use the two drivers, but cross them over around 800hz, use a small mid-range in the 3" hole to over 600hz-10khz, and then either find a very small tweeter to inside mount next to the midrange or top mount (similar to B&W or KEF) to cover the top ranges (5khz-20+khz). Is this too ambitious of a design?

Can anyone recommend a whitepaper or FAQ for crossovers, filters, etc..? I find all that stuff very confusing!

TIA!!!
Zach

Re: S1-MTM

zachary said:
I just purchased a pair of these sealed cabinets and am in the process of researching the components. I am still very much a newbie speaker builder.

The cutouts on each cabinet are ready for a pair of 7" drivers and a tweeter with a 3" dia magnet.

Stryke sells the SA071 7" driver for a great price ($14 each currently), but they seem like average sound quality.

I wanted to buy a pair a slightly better 7" drivers ($40-50 price range). Can anyone make some recommendations?

For the tweeter I was considering using a horn tweeter, but they seem to be a special class of component... what do I need to know about horn tweeters to effectively use one in my design?

My other thought was to turn this cabinet into a 3-way design. Use the two drivers, but cross them over around 800hz, use a small mid-range in the 3" hole to over 600hz-10khz, and then either find a very small tweeter to inside mount next to the midrange or top mount (similar to B&W or KEF) to cover the top ranges (5khz-20+khz). Is this too ambitious of a design?

Can anyone recommend a whitepaper or FAQ for crossovers, filters, etc..? I find all that stuff very confusing!

TIA!!!
Zach

You bought the boxes without the kit, right? Why don't you look at the DAppolito MTM designs on www.madisound.com and www.zalytron.com.
The only way to get a predesigned crossover(xo) is to buy it with the drivers as a kit. I prefer the Seas stuff myself. They have aluminum midbass woofers
in the $50 range and the H881 tweeter for $26.00. There is no exact kit to cover those plus crossover, but there are some close ones like the Seas Froy Mk 3 (AudioXpress 4/2003).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.