best bang for cap buck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for middle of the road investment i have chosen Jantzen brand as the cap to upgrade with..does anyone have a better idea or maybe a group buy was done to reduce the cost. there are always pricier brands but then the cap cost matches the speaker cost..just seems silly.

cheers!

for middle of the road investment i have chosen Jantzen brand as the cap to upgrade with..does anyone have a better idea or maybe a group buy was done to reduce the cost. there are always pricier brands but then the cap cost matches the speaker cost..just seems silly.

cheers!

What is the cap for in terms of driver and circuit position?
Later,
Wolf

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Audiophile capacitors are quite the distraction. Industrial types can have the right properties at a fraction of the cost. Even audiophile caps do not perform related to just their cost.

There are two types of capacitors here, those that colour the sound more or less. No magic from finding the special one.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, take a look at industrial or air conditioning compressor AC motor "run" capacitors. For example a 50uF 380v cap costs $9 vs circa $30 for a 56uF "audio" cap. However, some deals can be had for a 47uF audio cap as someone pointed out to me one that was only $11. The 50 to 56uF point seems to be where things jump in price significantly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.