Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

4 Way Crossover
4 Way Crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2018, 07:36 AM   #11
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Or spare yourself the pain and go active using a line level active crossover (for example, from ESP in Australia) or digital (for example. miniDSP or the unit from Tranquility Bass on this forum). Ultimately, you might find it easier, espaecially teamed with a Class D amp, such as a 4 x 100W from Sure.
Old 7th May 2018, 09:37 PM   #12
XMechanik is offline XMechanik  Poland
diyAudio Member

In case it could be helpful creating a 4(or even more)-way design:
3-way design example with XMachina
The 4-way design will differ only in that it will be necessary to create 3 cross points instead of two. (And, of course, 4 ways isdead of 3).
Old 16th May 2018, 10:19 AM   #13
theanhngn is offline theanhngn  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Your best bet might be to grab a copy of XSIM and add 4 of the same drivers to the schematic. Then do simple crossover for all 4 drivers and look at the changes in frequency response and impedance. I think that would answer a lot of questions.
Thanks mlee for your advise, i have tried Xsim but the number of frd files is very limited. Would you pls let me know whre i can get them? I have some files from Impulse Audio only, but you know, it's very few and many of them are not the drivers i need.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:39 AM   #14
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You need to measure the drivers on the baffle & save the frequency response into frd file format & the impedance into zma. The response will be wildly different to the manufacturer's published responses due to baffle step & diffraction effects. The alternative (nothing like as good) is to trace the manufacturer response graphs providing you know they are accurate / representative & the conditions they were taken under (if you don't, they're worthless), then reprocess the data to simulate & add in step loss, diffraction etc. & extract minimum phase etc. with appropriate software. Note that the crossover design software you subsequently use will then need to be able to account for the driver positions itself.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:51 AM   #15
theanhngn is offline theanhngn  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
You need to measure the drivers on the baffle & save the frequency response into frd file format & the impedance into zma. The response will be wildly different to the manufacturer's published responses due to baffle step & diffraction effects. The alternative (nothing like as good) is to trace the manufacturer response graphs providing you know they are accurate / representative & the conditions they were taken under (if you don't, they're worthless), then reprocess the data to simulate & add in step loss, diffraction etc. & extract minimum phase etc. with appropriate software. Note that the crossover design software you subsequently use will then need to be able to account for the driver positions itself.
Thanks for your advce, I have a omnimic device from Dayton Audio. From what i understand I wil lneed to hung the driver up and measure (1 meter away) their frequency range again using that device and save them in frd files, but for zma files, would you pls let me knoww how i can get it?
Old 16th May 2018, 11:29 AM   #16
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You need something that can measure it. DATS for example, Woofer Tester 2 or other suitable hardware / software.

4 Way CrossoverHide this!Advertise here!