PHL Audio's new 5" transducers (900 series) who have heard this new devices?

By chance I discover this new PHL loudspeaker driver series:
PHL Audio: Products ?*5 inch in
Boutique haut parleurs et audio DIY
Who have heard one of them and which commercial available loudspeaker products are equipped with this drivers?
Most of interest are the follow:
900, 973 (both low-mid) so as 930, 982 and 983.
Thank you for advices.

Last edited:
They have coax drivers too.

PHL really need to get with the times and post decent data sheets. No FR or Impedance curves? No data in the data sheets on the tweeter sections of the coax drivers? It's a joke.

I wholeheartedly agree with you! Nevertheless, don't you think some of their midranges are pretty good as measured by Zaph, Achenbach, to name a couple?

I have an eye on their 8" 2520 midrange.

I would say that their drivers represent a market that is currently lacking in that they are producing mainly higher sensitivity drivers that aren't necessarily aimed just at the pro world.

Some of their drivers do look like they show nice performance, but not all of them do. Lots of their drivers exhibit a ton of resonances throughout the midrange and lower treble, as is indicated by all of the impedance wiggles. These show regions of energy storage and in some cases result in spikes in the distortion plots.

A lot of PHLs drivers seemed to show 2nd and 3rd order harmonics resting at about -40dB, which is pretty poor. A few though show significantly better performance with them going down to -50 and better. These are the drivers I'd be interested in using.

http://lsv-achenbach.de/images/lautsprecher/test/KT_Test_phl-E17-1120.jpg

For example is one of the better ones.

Their drivers appear to use more basic motors, but as Zaph mentions get some increased linearity by having very powerful magnets.

I would say that their drivers represent a market that is currently lacking in that they are producing mainly higher sensitivity drivers that aren't necessarily aimed just at the pro world.

Some of their drivers do look like they show nice performance, but not all of them do. Lots of their drivers exhibit a ton of resonances throughout the midrange and lower treble, as is indicated by all of the impedance wiggles. These show regions of energy storage and in some cases result in spikes in the distortion plots.

A lot of PHLs drivers seemed to show 2nd and 3rd order harmonics resting at about -40dB, which is pretty poor. A few though show significantly better performance with them going down to -50 and better. These are the drivers I'd be interested in using.

http://lsv-achenbach.de/images/lautsprecher/test/KT_Test_phl-E17-1120.jpg

For example is one of the better ones.

Their drivers appear to use more basic motors, but as Zaph mentions get some increased linearity by having very powerful magnets.

Thanks for the insight. I guess this one qualifies ok in terms of harmonics, but no so in terms of wiggles in the impedance curve. What do you think?

LSV Dieter Achenbach

BTW, it is to be used with a Beyma TPL-150H.

PHL Audio 900 (8Ohm)
Who have heard one of them and which commercial available loudspeaker products are equipped with this drivers?
Thank you for advices.
any news?
Dieter Achenbach also don't know this.
Maybe a member with french language can call for me there and ask, in which commercial available mini monitors this drivers are inside and which magazine (like Voice Coil - go to
http://audioxpress.com/page/Voice-Coil-Magazine.html)
have tested one of the 900 series.
Here the contact datas
Elodie Deconinck (Alexa Fay)
Sales administration
PHL AUDIO SAS
461, rue des Chênes - Z.A.
77590 CHARTRETTES
France
T : + 33 (0)1 64 81 29 80
F : + 33 (0)1 60 69 10 28
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Are there any URLs with more details in this matter?

No official announcement.

But there is a distributer in France who claimed:
It is a special period because PHL Audio has been purchased by another company, and the production has been stopped a long time, it has been started after August just and now we are waiting for the delivery. This situation is not happy for customers, for us and for PHL Audio. We make our best to solve it as quickly as possible. I was at PHL's place last week and they confirm they want to provide but they need time. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards, Timotée.

SARL Son Lumière Concept

10 rue du Passavent, Zone du Val d'Orson
35770 Vern sur Seiche, FRANCE
Tel: 0892 707 657 Numéro Audiotel, à 0,34 €/minute
Fax: 0299 320 764

Toutlehautparleur.com | TeamAudio.fr
La-Planche-de-Bois.fr
Location Son/Lumière à Rennes

I have a pair of PHL 900's - Neodymium version, never used, if anyone is looking for some.
Have you heard this model ? - what about the sonic character ?
Thank you for advices.

Boutique haut parleurs et audio DIY
Thank you for advices.
Three years ago PHL audio releases this series.
Therefore again the question:
Which commercial available studio monitors are equipped with this transducers from PHL Audio ?

BTW: There is a website in new outline:
PHL Audio
older versions arround nearly 20 years are to find here:
Wayback Machine