high pass filter for faital 4fe32

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
I am total newbie to crossover and filter designs, so need some help. I have read lots of stuff about that recently, but for someone without basic knowledge of electronics its hard....trust me :).
So I am working on a portable box 2.1...two full range faital 4fe32 and 6" faital woofer. It plays wonderfully, but at high volumes there are some distortions...so I am thinking to make small faitals life easier and cut of the frequencies below 150 or 200hz (would that help? ).

So what do I need...capacitor, resistor of both?...and which one?

Thanks in advance,
Milos

Hi Hormilo !
I would like to help you with your Crossover. Your Thougts about "to make small fatials life easier and cut of the frequencies below 150 or 200 HZ" are ok and right.
Oherwise distortion at higher Volumes can have more reasons or other reasons than the low cut frequency. Most distortion is caused by Clipping of your used Amplifier.

We all need some more or more exact Information about the System what you like to build. for example : one box including 2 pieces oc 4fe32 and one 6" woofer or 2 encosures with oe 4fe32 and one 6"... what about amping? is an active crossover thinkable for you?

Please excuse that my english is not the best.

Regards

impedance at 200Hz is ~5 ohms, so plug that into this calculator:
Crossover Design Calculators
that shows a capacitor of approx 160uF is required for a first order xover,
(which is the easiest & cheapest thing to try)
the nearest preferred value is 150uF, that is close enough....

... but that's for a single driver, as Basslastig says, we need more info on how your system is connected up....

Last edited:
Thanks both of you for your help :).

Basslasting67...2.1 system..20liter box with two 4fe32 and one 5" faital 5fe100. Amp is tpa3116 2x50+1x100w. I would like to stay with simple solutions, so PeteMcK solution is probably ok. That means that I need to put one capacitor of approx 150uF on the + of the each 4fe32?

OK Thats some more.
Now i think that all Speakers work on one enclousered Volumr of 20l. is that right?

PeteMcK s post is certainly correct for one 4fe32 decoupeled from an other one. but you use a triple Amp. I think you drive 50 Watts on each 4fe32 and the 100Watts for the 6" . This screams for using an active Filter solution.

Regards

OK Thats some more.
Now i think that all Speakers work on one enclousered Volumr of 20l. is that right?

PeteMcK s post is certainly correct for one 4fe32 decoupeled from an other one. but you use a triple Amp. I think you drive 50 Watts on each 4fe32 and the 100Watts for the 6" . This screams for using an active Filter solution.

Regards

Yes. But there is now where near the total power of 200w. This amp needs about 5A from 21V...so about 120w.
Why active filter would be better? Channels are separated...sub channel is already filtered (crossover freq. regulated from 80-500hz) from amp.

ok i will try to explain:
we take one channel for the 4fp32. it amplifies the whole spectrum from 20Hz to 20 kHz. The Low frequencies below 200 Hz Need most Amplitude ( or Elongation) that means most power. the amp´s clipping is reached fast and causes distortion.
If you use a Capacitor between Amp and Speaker (passive) a Little bit of Current through the Speaker and amp will get lost below the cutoff frequency. But the Amp has to Handle the whole Spectrum. With an active Filter,which is before the power-Amp, the Amp will not get the whole spectrum, instead it gets the spectrum without the low frequencies with most Amplitude. So it can create higher Levels without distortion. you have a bit more "Headroom". with other words: The active Filter makes life easier for Speaker and Amplifier.

Ihope my english is good enough for this Explaination.

Regards Jörg

mmmmh lets say it is medium complicated but i can help you with an EAGLE worked out PCB-Design and the Circuit-Diagramm. First i have to workout the Values of Resistors and capacitors inside the filter. If you Cutoff the 6" at 500Hz ( Upper fc) it should be right to start the 4fc32 at 180Hz.

I will do the Calculations but it will Need a few days. If this is ok for you we start working.

regards Jörg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.