Full range driver as a wide range tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My next project will be to build a small speaker with variable BSC. I plan to do this with a normal 5-6" driver for the low frequencies, and a cross over at the baffle step frequency going over to a small full range driver with a variable Lpad. Can anyone suggest a good small full range for this. Obviously any shortcomings in the lower frequencies of the FR driver are irrelevant, and hf are all important.

I apologise if this ought to be in the full range site. It is a bit of a mixture.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
+1 on the Vifa TC9FD - probably the best sounding driver under $60. You would have to spend about $62 for the Scan Speak 10F/8114 to get more performance, or $100 for the 10F/8424 to beat it. Other good choices include the Faital Pro 3FE22 16ohm, Vifa TG9FD10-8 (fiberglass version of TC9GD), Visaton B80, and Dayton RS100P-4. The 10F/8424 has a lower cost higher Qts sibling called the 10F/8414 that is also quite nice at about $62.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Look at the construction details and build quality. No plastic frame here, Nd magnet, extensive venting, etc:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Troels Graveson has some measurements here:
5F8422T01-10F8414G10

Here is his frequency and polar data:
red_10F-8414G10_0-10-20-30.gif

More info on drivers and comparisons of their sound here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/270614-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/268626-vifa-tc9fd18-08-best-bang-buck.html

and here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/270094-objective-comparison-3in-4in-class-full-range-drivers.html

If I had to pick just one ultimate 3in to 4in full range driver, it would be the SS 10F/8424. If I had $350, I would get the Heil ESS AMT and cross it over at 600Hz. That tweeter is almost a fullrange driver and its sound cannot be beat IMO.

Here are some of the drivers I have tested, listened to, and used in a FAST where the full range acts as the tweeter from about 225Hz to 20kHz. These were all provided through the generosity of other members on this forum (except the TC9FD):

477902d1429235760-full-range-driver-wide-range-tweeter-driver-lineup-april-16-2015.jpg

From bottom left to right: Dayton RS100P-4, Dayton PS95-8, Peerless 830986, AHE7,
second row from front from left: Scan Speak 10F/8424, Vifa TG9FD10-8, Vifa TC9FD18-8, Faital Pro 3FE22 r16
third row from front: Tang Band W4-1320SB, Fostex FF105WK, Radio Shack (Foster FE103) 40-1197, 69 cent wonders
fourth row from front: PRV 5MR450NDY-8, NSB (no stinkin' badges)

Attachments

• driver-lineup-april-16-2015.jpg
    driver-lineup-april-16-2015.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 1,200
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No conclusion can be made from that …

Hmm, I'd think all sorts of conclusions can be made from it..

The results of the poll do show preference (under the testing protocol) for the Vifa with a moderate sample size FROM THE DRIVERS TESTED.

-of course there are many drivers NOT IN THE GROUP. :eek:

Still, its a subjective grouping and any given listener might not agree with the majority opinion. ;)

BTW, objectively as a tweeter substitute, the smaller Vifa that I posted a link to IS better (overall).

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hmm, I'd think all sorts of conclusions can be made from it..

The results of the poll do show preference (under the testing protocol) for the Vifa with a moderate sample size FROM THE DRIVERS TESTED.

But the testing procedure has such a chain of things that are convolved with the driver, no valid conclusions can be made.

Too much information lost and so much variability…

dave

Midrange (original poster); it would be great if you could tell us your crossover point (active/passive, LR2, LR4?) and also enclosure type.
I am thinking of a similar project:
For 60 to 400hz, I am thinking of GPA/Altec 416 in a U-frame/cardioid (already have the 416s).
Active DSP LR4 crossover.
And for 400hz up I am thinking a ~3" full ranger.

Best options seem to be the Vifas, SS 10Fs and Visaton B80.

If we believe the graphs, B80 seems to have the best response (it also has the advantage? of a phase plug). Does anyone have experience with this driver? http://www.visaton.com/bilder/frequenz/gross/b80_fs.gif

And also, people who have experience with both types of designs, which is the better compromise in terms of listening experience:
1. a small full ranger supported by a mid-woofer under 400hz (with the unavoidable not so great treble performance)
2. any other multiway with a dedicated tweeter (with the unavoidable additional Co and lobing/phase issues)

* Scott; why do you think the treble performance of the smaller Vifa would be superior? Is it just because of the cone diameter?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.