Devore Orangutan Clone?

AE TD10M will give you 94db if you don't compensate for baffle step. It has very smooth response and low distortion.

Seas W22NY is about 90db efficiency, has very low distortion and smooth response, but doesn't have very deep bass extension.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe looks like the morel cat378 in devore that I've been looking at for a while.
and the seas a26.

madisound has (a26+seas tweet) kit for $779/pair (a26+T35), add $350 for cabinets.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...6-10-2-way-kit-pair-based-on-the-classic-a25/
Wrap around the tweet with foam and you'd have something nice.
Tilt back or off axis for time alignment.

I like the idea of a 10" plus single capped tweet.
Been looking at zu and tekton using the eminence b102 plus tweet.

The seas tweet looks nice, but I'd prefer the horn loaded morel.
But the morel with a 5.6uF rolls and is -6db@2khz, a little high to catch a 10" woofers rolloff and dispersion.

Maybe looks like the morel cat378 in devore that I've been looking at for a while.
and the seas a26.

madisound has (a26+seas tweet) kit for $779/pair (a26+T35), add $350 for cabinets.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...6-10-2-way-kit-pair-based-on-the-classic-a25/
Wrap around the tweet with foam and you'd have something nice.
Tilt back or off axis for time alignment.

I like the idea of a 10" plus single capped tweet.
Been looking at zu and tekton using the eminence b102 plus tweet.

The seas tweet looks nice, but I'd prefer the horn loaded morel.
But the morel with a 5.6uF rolls and is -6db@2khz, a little high to catch a 10" woofers rolloff and dispersion.

It is the morel cat378, nothing special. Nice tweeter. The spl rating on those OR96 is utter BS and impossible for these drivers. The drivers used are an easy load on Tube amps and can reach decent levels quite easily, but no way is it a HE speaker. Nice but not worth $12K.
You could build a pair for as little as $500 to $700 and I can guarantee it will sound as good if done properly, the a26RE4 is a very pleasant sounding driver when placed in a 55-60 litre enclosure and that is the internal volume of the Orangutan;)

Reactions: 1 users
I think John DeVore explained his efficiency rating clearly enough. 1W/1m giving 96dB. Based on 12 ohms impedance for a valve amplifier. So I think the peanut gallery could quieten down here. :p

DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

That is clearly a bespoke 10" paper woofer that SEAS have made for him. Troels seems to have similar ideas with his Jantzen JA8008-HMQ:
JA8008-HMQ

I wouldn't like to speculate on the filter, but I'd guess it's not as simplistic as the SEAS A26. About 2kHz crossover though.

Reactions: 1 users
I think John DeVore explained his efficiency rating clearly enough. 1W/1m giving 96dB. Based on 12 ohms impedance for a valve amplifier. So I think the peanut gallery could quieten down here. :p

That is clearly a bespoke 10" paper woofer that SEAS have made for him. Troels seems to have similar ideas with his Jantzen JA8008-HMQ:
JA8008-HMQ

I wouldn't like to speculate on the filter, but I'd guess it's not as simplistic as the SEAS A26. About 2kHz crossover though.

Dear Steve, One earlier post you suggested the O96 filter based 3,3u and 0.68mH, may you have some further info about that? Thanks Richard

Joined 2014
Paid Member

For some reason stereophile is not responding at the moment, but if he tests at anything other than 2.83V that's cheating in my book. As far as google will let me know 2.83V gives 91dB

Reactions: 2 users
I also would be interested in a Devore O96 clone. I heard them at a recent HI FI show and was amazed at how good they sounded. They were driven by a Triode SET amp but still managed to produce quite high output. They seem to break a lot of rules wrt 10 inch woofer 2 way and resonant boxes but some how they sounded great, much better than others at the show costing many times as much. Not that $14000.00 is exactly cheap. The Seas kit seems to be quite close in philosophy. Obtaining Seas drivers in Aus might be difficult however. Anyone listened to the Seas kit?

Isn’t the OR a derivative of Audio Note/ Snell? Maybe I have this wrong, but if that’s the case, The Audio Note’s would be more interesting to copy. Especially since you can actually buy the drivers in kit’s or find a cheaper but suitable knock off. Put a few AN caps in an external xover, hook it up w sum silver wire and you gots a $30k speaker;). Also think it would be cool to find a hemp coned driver, but all the ones I’ve seen were guitar speakers.... which I might try if someone would recommended one.

Isn’t the OR a derivative of Audio Note/ Snell? Maybe I have this wrong, but if that’s the case, The Audio Note’s would be more interesting to copy. Especially since you can actually buy the drivers in kit’s or find a cheaper but suitable knock off. Put a few AN caps in an external xover, hook it up w sum silver wire and you gots a $30k speaker;). Also think it would be cool to find a hemp coned driver, but all the ones I’ve seen were guitar speakers.... which I might try if someone would recommended one.

You can but the drivers or whole kit from here - LINK but I heard the Audio note E at Whittlebury hifi show last year and thought they were a bit dull with a loose bass.

It's interesting to me that Audio Note used a lively 4 ohm 8" bass. :D

So do WLM in the La Scala design:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Visaton W200S 4 ohm and Visaton TW70. It's a simple 5 element series filter AFAIK. You can do Boxsim if you are interested.

This is not their preferred route however. They go down the Eminence 10CX route in the WLM Diva.

Eminence discuss some applications for the Beta 10CX here: Using coaxial products for DIY monitors and home hi-fi applications | Eminence Speaker. Lively 10" paper cones are really quite well behaved.

Seems to me the whole trick is a paper woofer with high Qms above 3. Kapton or fibreglass or paper voicecoil formers. Corrugated paper or foam surrounds. And don't expect too much bass, because big excursion is the enemy of linearity. Fast response relies on low energy storage. Keep it light. :cool:

Last edited:
A couple of months back I had a go at Boxsim, using the Seas A26RE4 and T35 data sheet curves and parameters. I designed a large sealed box with AR series style crossover and the results looked OK. Saying that I've no practical experience designing speakers and it was the first time I tried Boxsim! I could try emailing the files if they're any use to anyone.

I'm into the idea of making some wide baffle speakers that would work well close to the wall / corners, but apart from the expensive AN kits there doesn't seem to be any DIY designs out there.

I used to have some Russ Andrews speakers that where designed for corners, using a 12" Precision Devises pro driver running full-range and a Focal tweeter with just one cap for the crossover. I've kicked myself ever since I sold them because, even though I've had higher fidelity speakers, they've never been as nice to listen to in the long run.

I get dragged up to the Bristol show every year and I've always liked the Audio Note room way more than anything else there. I noticed this year there where a few more old school style wide baffle speakers like Spendor, Harbeth and some huge Art 3 ways in the Ming Da room. To me they sounded a lot nicer than the usual narrow / small driver stuff, but unfortunately they're all well out of my price range!

It's interesting to me that Audio Note used a lively 4 ohm 8" bass. :D

So do WLM in the La Scala design:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Visaton W200S 4 ohm and Visaton TW70. It's a simple 5 element series filter AFAIK. You can do Boxsim if you are interested.

This is not their preferred route however. They go down the Eminence 10CX route in the WLM Diva.

Eminence discuss some applications for the Beta 10CX here: Using coaxial products for DIY monitors and home hi-fi applications | Eminence Speaker. Lively 10" paper cones are really quite well behaved.

Seems to me the whole trick is a paper woofer with high Qms above 3. Kapton or fibreglass or paper voicecoil formers. Corrugated paper or foam surrounds. And don't expect too much bass, because big excursion is the enemy of linearity. Fast response relies on low energy storage. Keep it light. :cool:

Are you sure that Visaton woofer is used in that WLM speaker?