Is this a good driver for Fence Post Line Array?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK I am new to the Line Array thing. I've just built my 1st one and am impressed. If you wish to read about this abomination, please see :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/270544-line-array-varying-length-tl-pipes.html

Not an original idea, but I'd like to consider a more refind LA that would use a vinyl fence post for the enclosure.

If I'm going to go for a LA I want big. I don't expect to equal the IDS-25 but I won't spend that much money either :)

Why not (each speaker array) consist of a 5x5 " x 8 foot high fence post? Cost < $30 (More or less) + drivers.

Ah, the drivers. So many to choose from. I want (relativley) cheap, since as many as 25 per side. No MOREL need apply. How about this one. It sounds enticing, good low Fs and neodymium is one of those good buzz words. Anybody have experience with it?

WFR0400211 4" Cast Aluminum Frame Woofer 4 Ohm

If my build is successful, it might just wean me off my Bose 901 addiction. That might be incentive enough for you to help a fellow suffering audioholic :)

seems reasonable enough of an idea, though you'll probably want a tweeter array with that driver. the Fountek FE-83 is another candidate, probably wont go as low, but extends a little higher, and is cheaper.
theres a pretty well documented build thread over on PEs forum for an IDS-25 clone - Yet Another IDS-25 Clone! 25 Fountek FE-83 drivers in a line array

vinyl fence post is a neat idea, but something tells me with the amount of bracing required it would probably be easier to build a box and just sleeve over it if that's the look you'd like.

thanks for the suggestions...yes, I have read that and many other threads. I will sniff around for some more drivers.

If I execute a "proper" line array, I want to be "purist" and only use full range identical drivers. I've listened to B*ose 901s for years so I appear to be happy with (arguably) a "full range" driver and massive (but adusted to taste) EQ.

A custom box is not out of the question. My carpentry skills and tools raise questions of their own :) I'm not beyond trying to glue together pre-cut planks. The Pain in the a$$ part will be cutting 50 (or however many) holes, screwing in, wiring, etc. One advantage of my "Marimba I" array is I can tear it down, reinstall the drivers in a B*ose 901 cabinet and re-sell it to some other gullible fool :)

As for appearance, if you look at the photos in my past projects here at DIY, you will see that cosmetics is not a high priority for me :darkside:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.