Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Eminence Alpha 6A
Eminence Alpha 6A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2015, 12:51 PM   #1
akarma 76 is offline akarma 76
diyAudio Member

Smile Eminence Alpha 6A

May be someone will share with impressions about this driver? Or even better have some real measurements?
I need a midrange in 3way and that alpha looks good in first glance. Good sensitiveness, smooth response - especially roll-off. It seems it can be connected with 1st order. Any ideas?
Another possible candidate is Faital Pro 6FE200.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Dissi is offline Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

The only independent measurement I know:

Click the image to open in full size.

Source: Biete ein Paar Eminence Alpha-6A Mitteltöner - verkauft!, Selbstbau / DIY - HIFI-FORUM
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:41 AM   #3
technofreak is offline technofreak  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
Hello,

Another independent measurement is available here

Here is my Alpha 6 in a three-way system, crossed over actively at ~250Hz, 4. order L-R. No low pass, tweeter (Celestion HF50) is passively crossed at ~5,5kHz 2. order. Measured in room ~1m distance 1/8 (or 1/12, can't remember that detail) octave smoothing (peak at ~7kHz is a microphone artifact):
A6_system_1212.png

As for sound, it's very lively yet not aggressive. Not the smoothest FR but detail and imaging is rather good.

Another candidate that looks good on paper would be Celestion TF-0818 - limited to 2,5 kHz in the upper end but plays down to 80 Hz. Some other guys build pics with measurements (alas, full system only) are here.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

technofreak

Thanks, very interesting. It's pitty you have no single Alpha measurement.

Quote:
No low pass, tweeter (Celestion HF50) is passively crossed at ~5,5kHz 2. order
Great. Any problems with off-axis? Roll-off is so smooth and no peaks at all? I want a minimal crossover and because of that was interested in Alpha 6A.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I can do single driver and off-axis measurements tomorrow. I did some off-axis measurements some years ago (I've had these drivers since 2008 and never felt a strong urge to replace them with something else), but they're with outdated passive crossover. I can check and see if I still have them later. IIRC, no problems off-axis at all. Roll-off is basically textbook 2. order; some break-up above 10 kHz, but it's 20 dB down.
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofreak View Post

I can do single driver and off-axis measurements tomorrow.
Great!
Old 3rd April 2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Gary P is offline Gary P
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarma 76 View Post
May be someone will share with impressions about this driver? Or even better have some real measurements?
I need a midrange in 3way and that alpha looks good in first glance. Good sensitiveness, smooth response - especially roll-off. It seems it can be connected with 1st order. Any ideas?
Another possible candidate is Faital Pro 6FE200.
I don't have measurements of the 6a but do have measurements of the 6c (4 ohm version). My brother purchased a pair to use in his car. We spent an afternoon measuring and tweaking to see what we could come up with as far as resonance control goes...

They could play quite loud while staying clean had had lots of punch on the test IB.

I like the looks of the Alpha NEO version the best but have not had a chance to get a pair.

Look for "Tweaking the Alpha-6C" on my webpage
Old 4th April 2015, 07:16 AM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Eminence Alpha 6A
Gary, I figured you wold chime in.
You gave those Alphas a beating, didn't you?
Old 4th April 2015, 02:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Here come a metric ton of measurements both with and without tweeter. Baffle size 215x335 mm, around 7 litres vented (Fb ~95 Hz) and overstuffed (so more like leaky sealed box than real vented box), no HP filter, no bass modules. In-room; 50 cm distance for Alpha only and 80 cm for full mid-high module; 1/16 octave smoothing. The drivers are modded with felt pads on basket, as per Garys experiments No mods to the cone.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

More here, including HOLMimpulse save file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e6vprocin...EPIqpmp9a?dl=0

Last edited by technofreak; 4th April 2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Pics & missed detail
Old 4th April 2015, 02:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Very good, especially smooth roll-ff. I think it would be easy to connect Alpha 6A with tweeter. But I'm not shure what the best Low Pass xover point for it. Or without it at all?

Eminence Alpha 6AHide this!Advertise here!