Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Eminence Alpha 6A
Eminence Alpha 6A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2015, 04:50 PM   #11
technofreak is offline technofreak  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
I guess 5 kHz 1st order would be a good starting point. That'll give you 3rd order acoustical. Or 2,5 kHz 2nd order if you want to use a wide dispersion tweeter (dome, ribbon or slot). No LP can work well, too, as in my case - it's almost perfect 2nd order acoustical roll-off. A slight widening of dispersion from 5 to 6 kHz isn't much of a problem (I guess this is where the dust cap makes sound).

(Damn pictures aren't showing up again. Oh, well.)
Old 4th April 2015, 05:05 PM   #12
akarma 76 is offline akarma 76
diyAudio Member

Thanks again. Really valuable information.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:52 AM   #13
swann is offline swann  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Folks,

i know its a very long time ago, but still i could'nt find any other measurements than the one posted on the german board.

I even did wrote this guy if he had made any degree measurements or checked some tsp before selling them but no awnser yet.
So i was wandering if anybody here had made some reliable stuff with that driver and would like to share it .

Greets Swany.
Old 5th December 2018, 06:05 PM   #14
weltersys is online now weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
So i was wandering if anybody here had made some reliable stuff with that driver and would like to share it .
Swany,

The Eminence Alpha 6 measurements below were taken in 2011, not positive if they had the "A" designation.
Sealed box of around 480 cubic inches, outdoors, approximately 5 foot off the ground, on axis, and 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 degrees off axis.
There is no smoothing in the measurement.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: png Alpha 6.png (192.9 KB, 167 views)
Old 5th December 2018, 10:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the Measuerements Art! Helps...:-). I hoped beaming would start around 3 khz and it does. So ok have to build a cabinet probe to look what thd would look like around this two breaks at 2 and 3 khz. But until than i am positively optimistic that i can cross the alpha in this area.
Have to see .

Greets Swany.
Old 7th December 2018, 12:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Swany,

The Eminence Alpha 6 measurements below were taken in 2011, not positive if they had the "A" designation.
Sealed box of around 480 cubic inches, outdoors, approximately 5 foot off the ground, on axis, and 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 degrees off axis.
There is no smoothing in the measurement.

Art
Something looks off with these measurements, too much hash for properly gated outdoor measurement and that depression in the 1 to 4 kHz region doesn't look right at all. My Alpha 6 measure much smoother, even in-room. The below measurement is with tweeter crossed at ~5 kHz.
Attached Images
File Type: png A6+HF50_15-45deg_80cm.png (101.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 01:56 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

@ Technofreak,

why did you cross the alpha this high? Beam would already starting at 3-3,5 khz. What kind of tweeter do you use?

Greets Swany.
Old 7th December 2018, 04:18 PM   #18
weltersys is online now weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofreak View Post
Something looks off with these measurements, too much hash for properly gated outdoor measurement and that depression in the 1 to 4 kHz region doesn't look right at all. My Alpha 6 measure much smoother, even in-room. The below measurement is with tweeter crossed at ~5 kHz.
Neither of our measured responses look very similar to the curve on the Eminence Alpha 6A spec sheet ;^).

Your drivers may be a completely different production run, are they "6" or "6A"?

Yours were measured with a tweeter (and presumably some crossover), really apples to oranges anyway.

As far as "hash", seems high resolution Smaart (1.5 Hz) measurements show a bit more, even when smoothed.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: png Different.png (290.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: png Alpha 6A LMS.png (52.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 10:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Neither of our measured responses look very similar to the curve on the Eminence Alpha 6A spec sheet ;^).

Your drivers may be a completely different production run, are they "6" or "6A"?

Yours were measured with a tweeter (and presumably some crossover), really apples to oranges anyway.

As far as "hash", seems high resolution Smaart (1.5 Hz) measurements show a bit more, even when smoothed.

Art
6A, I bought them in 2008, I think. I used these crossoverless, really more like wideband + supertweeter style than "normal" 2-way. I have to dig around in my old files, there should be some measurements without tweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann
why did you cross the alpha this high? Beam would already starting at 3-3,5 khz. What kind of tweeter do you use?
I used Celestion HF 50 which is a narrow dispersion bullet tweeter (around 60 degrees conical), so that this high crossover point worked quite well. These were my old speakers back from when I was a poor student, and I was coming from 8" full range drivers. I wanted similar sound to the fullrange drivers, but with smoother mids, deeper bass and cleaner highs - mid driver that could cover from 300 to 5000 Hz and minimalist crossovers were the design points.

I also attached a measurement from some German site which name I've long forgotten.
Attached Images
File Type: png alpha6_in_hornbox_nah-c4eb.png (11.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 8th December 2018, 11:55 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Its from there: Eminence Alpha-6A | Jobst-Audioshop

He's known for nice DIY-Building Speakers in Germany. Makes his own measurements too, strange that i did not find any of this before :-D.
Here is the speaker he mentioned, a small dual 6 inch with the baby bms crossed around 2 khz JL-sat26 (LMT-261) - PA Topteil fur Kleinbeschallung | Jobst-Audio - Tontechnik
Maybe i should write him and aks if he's got any off-axis measurements....that i can post here as well...:-D.

Swany.

Eminence Alpha 6AHide this!Advertise here!