Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Any successful/unsuccessful tales of loading a large Coax in a front horn?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2015, 10:22 PM   #1
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any successful/unsuccessful tales of loading a large Coax in a front horn?

Like a Tannoy 12 or 15 ? By loading I mean down to the upper bass or under 200 cycles.
Old 31st March 2015, 10:38 PM   #2
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tannoy Autographs are quite popular.

Here is a link to some drawings:
Tannoy Autograph
Old 31st March 2015, 10:49 PM   #3
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Doesn't really load the driver much but I imagine a bigger version might add a little something.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/produ...gy-horns/sm80/
Old 1st April 2015, 12:17 AM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've heard Altec 15" coax in the A7 box, which would be a sort front horn. Works well. Loads to about 200Hz, IIRC.

Have also heard Lowther fullrange in a big horn. Seemed to work extremely well. The Lowther shout was absent, which is good.
Old 1st April 2015, 02:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

What I have is a pair of these Electro Voice EJ1 horns and 12" Tannoy dual concentric drivers out of the V12's. I'm thinking of mating them up - Once I get them together and do some measuring I'll get a better idea of what I'll need to do to get them tuned in with the crossover. What I'm afraid of is the 12 may not go up high enough to meet the compression treble due to the increased loading of the low mid in the horn. If i can get it right it may be a lot of fun to listen to.

EV EJ1 Theater horn

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja
Old 1st April 2015, 09:15 AM   #6
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post

Have also heard Lowther fullrange in a big horn. Seemed to work extremely well. The Lowther shout was absent, which is good.
Second that. (but I guess the available headroom is still not enough for POOH... )

About the (massive) EJ1, would it be feasible to modify it into a (big) Synergy horn?
Old 1st April 2015, 11:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The V12's have enough headroom for me when used with my current bass system - they are actually very nice drivers and could use some better cabinets. Not fully loaded horn headroom but close.

I think the synergy horns need to be exact to really work right. Hacking up these horns and guessing on the results may be a disaster for me. The Tannoys are easy and a point source to begin with. The horn throat is beautifully molded and fits a 12 with no compression or diffraction so I'm going to give it a go before hacking them up.
Old 1st April 2015, 04:16 PM   #8
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Tannoy Westminster

The Tannoy Westminster is another version of the concept. IIRC the fronthorn loads down to app. 200 cycles.

Tannoy | Home

Best regards
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
Like a Tannoy 12 or 15 ? By loading I mean down to the upper bass or under 200 cycles.
Old 1st April 2015, 11:46 PM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I've heard Altec 15" coax in the A7 box, which would be a sort front horn. Works well. Loads to about 200Hz, IIRC.
+1, though it sounded s little 'pinched' to me, so when someone wanted a FLH for the 604, the large conical WG I recommended proved a winner according to him. Wish I still had all my old correspondence to see who it was, though do remember it wasn't a poster on any the early audio BBs or web forums.

It was huge, loading to a 120 Hz XO to mate to a centralized mono 'sub' system IIRC.

GM
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:14 AM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Bigger is better!

Any successful/unsuccessful tales of loading a large Coax in a front horn?Hide this!Advertise here!