Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Are Satori's worth the extra money?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2015, 02:26 PM   #31
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19191 View Post
If you do not know what you are doing looking
to those that do is likely to be useful.
My question was rhetorical and you have taken it out
of context, otherwise I agree it could be useful to do
so if the original goal was the same as the one from
professionals.
Old 27th March 2015, 09:59 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Gracol,

once you start simulating with satori 13, you will have to make
your peace with a 1,5 kHz (surround) resonance. It is more offending
to the eyes. I have had a very similar experience with another high
quality drive unit.
Old 27th March 2015, 01:47 PM   #33
Gracol is offline Gracol  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Lojzek,

I did notice that. It seems to be a trait on the Satori's (amongst others). I had a look around on the forums, etc... and according to likes of Jeff B and a few others it seems as though it's not a major audible concern? (at least not on the latrger 6.5" driver)
I did actually come across a thread somewhere (I cant remember where now but if i do I will post a link) and your right, it is to do with the surround resonance. One of the SB designers was writing on the thread and was saying it was one of the compromises they chose to 'live with', in favour of improving other areas, and that they felt it wasn't a significant enough of a problem to be detrimental to the sound or usability of the driver.

I guess I will find out if I buy them, lol!!
Old 27th March 2015, 06:06 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Gracol,

and they are right, it isn't a big issue. There is a test on Satori 5" at Medley's
Musings with frd and zma files at the bottom of the page to download.
Old 27th March 2015, 07:51 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi Lojzek, I have read the test but didn't notice the files before.
I'll take a look and get them, thanks!!
Old 2nd June 2015, 08:10 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

So, after much deliberation which direction to go in for my first build I went ahead and bought a pair of the Satori MW13P's and initial impressions are they sound great!!

I don't know how they compare with the MFC's and NRX's but I can say the natural sound, clarity and bass (for such a small driver) is very impressive and the build quality is exceptional.

I have paired these with Seas 27TBCD tweeters in a 7.5 litre vented enclosure. It's very early days but even with the first mock-up of the crossover they sound great so can only imagine how good they'll sound once they're finished and utilised to their full potential.

I'm looking forward to the next few months playing around and tweaking these!!
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:17 PM   #37
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

enjoy!

Tony.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:29 PM   #38
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracol View Post
enclosure. It's very early days but even with the first mock-up of the crossover they sound great so can only imagine how good they'll sound once they're finished and utilised to their full potential
It's good to hear you're enjoying them. I remember how chuffed I was when I first built mine. I proudly said to the girlfriend "what do you think then?" - She brought me down to earth by saying they sounded like cheap 1980s Matsui speakers (In retrospect I think they were worse than that lol)

It took me a very long time to get them right and one of the hardest parts was getting accurate measurements. So read, read and read as much info as you can, would be my advice.

A little tip - IMO the most important and hardest part is getting the vocals right. Hook the speakers up to a tv and watch regular tv and films. If you struggle to hear what people are saying and need to crank the volume up or vocals sound too fruity, harsh or thin. Then 99% of the time it's something wrong with the crossover.
Most people blame the recording when certain tracks sound bad. I know this because I've done it myself. You'll find that as the the crossover gets better, more of your music and films will sound better.
Old 2nd June 2015, 09:52 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tony!

Hehe, thanks fatmarley for the advice! Thankfully the wife hasn't criticised too much.... yet! Lol!
I have started off by having the raw drivers measured in the enclosure to work out the starting crossover.
I'll probably leave them for a couple weeks and see how they go before taking next steps.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:00 PM   #40
incredible80 is offline incredible80
diyAudio Member

I currently want to build a speaker based on Jeff Bagby's Revolution. In my country, the satori that are used in the revolution mini are $200 more expensive than the SB15CAC that are used int the larger Revolution. Is the satori worth the $200 usd price difference?

Are Satori's worth the extra money?Hide this!Advertise here!