recommend higher SPL alternative TB w5-1138SMF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Sorry guys another "help me out please" thread... but I really couldn't find an answer searching the usual places. And I've been comparing drivers for a week now.... So here it goes:

I've been looking for a good woofer that goes low in a small cabinet. Finally I stumbled upon the TB w5-1138SMF.

WinISD gives me 40Hz @ -1,36db in a 7 Liter enclosure. *edit* Due to Hoffmann iron law let's make it between 7 and 14 liters

This gave me the idea I could pair it with a full range. Only problem is the SPL only 82db 1W/1m

Currently I use FR speaker rated for 89db 1W/1m (with a 5W tube amp.)

So do you guys know of a woofer that

>is a 5" / 5.5"
>would do 40hz (@ -3db) in a 7 liter enclosure
>with a higher SPL rating?

I'd like to pair it with a FR but with at tweeter crossing at 2500hz would be ok.

Oh to prevent insane shipping cost the driver must be available in Europe.

T/S Paramters for TB w5-1138SMF.

the room the speakers will be used in is about 4 meters wide 5 meters deep 2,5 meters high.

Attachments

• tb w5.png
    tb w5.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Tang Band is a subwoofer driver with outstandingly low
F3/F6/F10 data. Those come with a price and the price is
lower sensitivity. 81 dB at 1W and 84,5 dB/2,83 V is okay.

It is meant to be connected with the rest of the system
(FAST, Xway...) to an amp that can drive it. Higher sensitivity
goes with greater cone surface.

Your main concern regarding this driver should be the choice
od the passive radiator because in a 7 litre box for the Fb=37Hz
the port should be about 2" by 23".

Hoffman's Iron Law at work: small size, low-frequency extension, sensitivity. Pick any two.

My usual method is to choose my LF extension and play with the other two to match what I'm after.
Here, you've got a small box going low. Its never going to be efficient.

Chris

Ok let's say I'd double the cab. size to 14Liters.

There is the Monacor 135 C.

WinISD gives me a vent dia of 10,2Cm and a length of 90Cm, it will not fit the cab !? is it possible to fold the reflex tube?

TECHNICAL DATA:
Impedance (Z) 8 Ω
Resonant frequency (fs) 40 Hz
Max. frequency range f3-8,000 Hz
Music power 80 WMAX
Power rating (P) 50 WRMS
SPL (1 W/m) 88 dB
Suspension compl. (Cms) 1.35 mm/N
Moving mass (Mms) 12 g
Mech. Q factor (Qms) 4.48
Electr. Q factor (Qes) 0.43
Total Q factor (Qts) 0.39
Equivalent volume (Vas) 17 l
DC resistance (Re) 6 Ω
Force factor (BxL) 6.5 Tm
Voice coil induct. (Le) 0.75 mH
Voice coil diameter 35.5 mm
Voice coil former Kapton
Linear excursion (XMAX) ±3.5 mm
Eff. cone area (Sd) 95 cm2
Magnet weight 500 g
Weight 1.5 kg

Attachments

• monacor.png
    monacor.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 323
  • monacor2.png
    monacor2.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
WinISD does not calculate the optimum box, it just calculates something. A port with a diameter of 5 cm will probably also be acceptable.

Another solution would be to use a plate amp for the TangBand W5-1138. You can get a small box with deep extension, while still retaining the fullrange / tube amp magic and sufficient SPL. The low efficiency of the woofer is compensated by putting more watts in it.

Last edited:
Another solution would be to use a plate amp for the TangBand W5-1138. You can get a small box with deep extension, while still retaining the fullrange / tube amp magic and sufficient SPL. The low efficiency of the woofer is compensated by putting more watts in it.

that is actually a nice idea! I do not know anything about plate amps. I'll see what I can find about it. Also I wonder how this would work with the crossover?

meanwhile I found a design for the SPH 135C but without info, http://audioroot.net/cheap-trick-154/

So plenty of stuff to look for!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.