Technically Accurate Speakers: Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I admit to being intrigued by the claims of Toole, Olive and others about the general tendency for listeners to prefer speakers that are technically accurate over those that are not. Putting aside for a moment all questions about the legitimacy of the assumptions, methodologies, and so on underlying these claims, I would like to try listening to some reasonably accurate speakers for a while to see what I think. I'm curious to see if my aesthetic judgment and audio 'taste' will be altered by exposure to speakers of this kind, e.g. whether I might find myself preferring them right off the bat, whether they might become an 'acquired taste' if I don't like them, or whether I may end reverting back to my original preferences. I'm simply curious, nothing more.

Now I honestly don't know if I've ever heard a pair of speakers that might be considered 'accurate' in a technical sense simply because I have no way of knowing or judging whether the speakers I've owned have been accurate or not (or what degree of accuracy they may have had).

I was wondering if people here might have some suggestions for reasonably accurate (technically) speakers that I might be able to try. I'm open to suggestions for new, used, or DIY speakers that would be considered reasonably accurate in a technical sense which I might find for under $500.00. For new or used I'd welcome suggestions for any speakers that are generally regarded as accurate technically, and for DIY, I'd be open to any established speaker design or kit (I can make the cabinet myself).

I realize this is an odd sort of request, but I've searched online and can't find anything that seems to count as a reliable list of accurate speakers (other than the usual list of "10 best monitors" and so on that populate the internet and that never seem to agree on what the 10 best might happen to be).

Please don't take this as an invitation to engage in a 'measurements vs preferences' debate. I'm not making any judgments here about what the final arbiter of a speaker's sound should be, I'm just curious to see what effects long term exposure to technically accurate speakers might have on my audio preferences and tastes (if any).

Thanks.

p.s. My current list of speakers include the following: Boston Acoustics A400, JBL L36, JBL L5, Sound Dynamics 12S, PSB 500, NHT SB1, Minmus 7 (I don't think any of these count as 'accurate' in the technical sense, but I leave that to others who are more knowledgeable about these kinds of things).

Speakers & Rooms

Reproducing recorded sound at home is mostly about the speaker;
a lot about the room that the speaker is playing within;
a lot about the recording method/quality itself;
a lot about the signal path from the recorded data to the speakers.
...And a lot more.

Simply put, a speaker that measures well at the facility where it was
measured will not measure the same in your room, connected to your equipment.

For example, a reputable hi-fi dealer will allow you to take home
the speakers you bought from them on a trial basis, to allow you
to hear what they sound like at home.

Good luck!

Hi Phil,

just to be clear, do you own these 7 different speakers?
Why not get measurement gear and inspect how accurate
they are? I don't know any of these products.
Yes, I currently own the speakers listed. The problem is that I lack the technical expertise and know-how to properly conduct (and interpret) these kinds of tests. As a result, I have to rely on the trustworthiness and integrity of those who do. I could learn, I suppose, but that would require more time and resources than I currently have (given my current work and family obligations, not to mention my other hobbies and such). :eek:

Perhaps from the 7 pairs that you own you can scrounge some components to make a "technically accurate speaker":p
I'd actually be open to that, but how would I know if what I was hobbling together was accurate or not (without having the technical know-how to do the measurements)? For all I know, one or more of the sets listed might already qualify as technically accurate, but I have no way of determining that right now (apart, perhaps, from data published by the companies in question).

My Nephila fit your price bracket, and have a very flat response. They use a Parts Express knock down tower cabinet with a couple mods. Distortion measurements are also very low. Listening axis has about a 5* vertical tilt, so that helps with the short height, depending on how far away you listen.

Nephila, Bare Bones Kit /Pair

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Build thread:
View topic - "Nephila" F6/AMT design... • Meniscus Audio Forum

Later,
Wolf

Ehm, sorry Wolf, but TAS ( tech etc etc) demand to be 3 way :eek:

I didn't say they had to be 3-way! In fact I explicitly said I was open to multi-way or full range.

I like my JBL L36's, especially for jazz, but find them a little 'piercing' at times (likely something that could be tamed by someone who knew what they were doing). I also like my other speakers as well, but they all sound a little different. Certain voices, for example, sound very different on the L36's compared to the Boston A400's, and I have no way of telling which voicing is more accurate--hence my curiosity (at least in part).

I have considered selling the L36's, by the way, but there are certain things that I really like about them and so have a hard time letting them go.

Spino !

Phil,

Make it in the most logical way à la Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata:D. What is said in Post 2 makes sense ! Have to find the weakest links and then re beginn to improve the whole result. Like says a friend look at it in a (W)Holistic way.

If you begin by the speakers and you have the good idea to involve the members:

1) make a list
2) in the order of your prefered speakers
3) describe to us the whole links from the wires to the devices and the materials (here it can be borring as you have imho a concistency by listening always the same materials to have non moving reference point year after year!)
4) Be sure the dimensions of your listing rooms, the walls, the way the furnitures are populating the room is not the main reason of your insatisfaction

From here choose your country : accurate or colored ,:D I have choosed mine : for example ; ultimate clearness and transparency where I can hear the 15 teeth of the singer is not of the top of my list !

Little by little you will choose the trade offs which you prefer and try to marry the devices :

A1- in the way you choosed your country according your tastes
A2- try to tame the most critical default
A3 - trying to stay in the order of your prioritary trade offs

B1- while listen to the good advices and ideas coming from the shared expériences here or elswhere

Tout un programme :smash: and some :dice: ...sometimes !

I Jump from ethic to étiquette...( a little Ethic).

Choose your trade offs in the order you prefer !Then maybe some will have a good idea you don't think about to improve your system !

I will beginn in your shoes by the measurements of the listening room !

Bah we want more and less the same things. At the end the pleasure is a good indication of a better result when you compare two configurations !

(ha sorry for my English, not so accurate as Spino wrote :))

Hi,

You can guarantee Zaph's designs are technically accurate.

e.g. Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5

ZDT3.5-FR-IMP.gif

Very flat, near perfect 2nd and 4th order L/R acoustic x/o's.
Very smooth upper midrange power response to the tweeter.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

You can guarantee Zaph's designs are technically accurate.

e.g. Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5

ZDT3.5-FR-IMP.gif

Very flat, near perfect 2nd and 4th order L/R acoustic x/o's.
Very smooth upper midrange power response to the tweeter.

rgds, sreten.

Smooth, off axis power response was also one of Toole's findings with regard to listener preference. How does Zaph's ZD3.5 do in that department? Polars? Phase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.