Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open Baffle woofer what is important?
Open Baffle woofer what is important? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2017, 01:27 PM   #101
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Sorry, haven't given you the full story. The jordans have a removable back panel so I can use them OB as well, which is what I'm doing at the moment. I have active LR4 crossover at 125Hz. The U frames are 12" deep
Old 25th May 2018, 04:43 AM   #102
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evershumi View Post
try to find this speakers Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker
My audio buddy built u-frames with 2 Emince Beta 15 A in each frame. We measured FR with REW and he is getting bass more or less flat down to 30Hz without any EQ. He previously had magneplanar tympanis and acoustats in the same smallish room and I always found them a bit boomy. Be obviously he has some serious room gain around 30hz that just happens to offset perfectly the roll off of his u frame. Good luck rather than good management!
Old 13th November 2019, 09:45 AM   #103
sujat is offline sujat  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzfcocon View Post
I think Vas has in itself less relevance in OB context, because Vas is a measure of equivalent air compliance that determines the a driver + enclosure Fs and Q. For OB, there is no enclosure.

Vas is given by the driver's stiffness and the latter is linked to the driver's Fs via it's mass. In the context of open baffle, it makes more sense to look at things from Fs and Qts perspective.

Bzfcocon, Vas as such may be irrelevant in OB, but since Vas is a direct function of stiffness (rather of compliance, which is reciprocal of stiffness), would Cms not be a factor to consider as far as how EASILY the driver would reach Xmax? For eg: if Cms for a given driver is quite high.. it might reach Xmax at much below required SPL.

Am i thinking on the right line?
Old 13th November 2019, 10:41 AM   #104
wonderfulaudio is offline wonderfulaudio
diyAudio Member

Sujat, Why dont you simulate the influence of Cms?
Old 13th November 2019, 10:57 AM   #105
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
... he is getting bass more or less flat down to 30Hz without any EQ. He previously had magneplanar tympanis and acoustats in the same smallish room and I always found them a bit boomy. Be obviously he has some serious room gain around 30hz that just happens to offset perfectly the roll off of his u frame. Good luck rather than good management!
I had a similar experience with a very large OB baffle.

Many members here are keen to be free of box sound and enhance the ambience and are pondering OBs. (See the discussion about ditching spatial localization in The Lounge forum.) But they are worried about the emanations from the rear of the drier sneaking around and annihilating the front emanations.

With an OB, you can install a driver with a low resonance and - unlike sealed boxes - it doesn't change. So you might be getting a boost in output at say, 25-35 Hz, just where you might like to hear it.

Hardly any "room gain" worth mentioning except in hermetically sealed cars. However, rooms have eigentones. But it depends on your seat location and the speaker location as to whether that will add or subtract at a given frequency. I think we notice the add-places more.

B.
Old 13th November 2019, 12:27 PM   #106
sujat is offline sujat  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulaudio View Post
Sujat, Why dont you simulate the influence of Cms?

@ wonderfulaudio: i would like to. However, i haven't found any application that will for android phone (which i can do lying down); and health doesn't much permit using a proper computer either standing or sitting.

Open Baffle woofer what is important?Hide this!Advertise here!