Portable Bluetooth Speaker DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys

I have some questions about DIY portable Bluetooth speaker

I plan to make and design my own 2.1 Boombox, but I don't know anything about it...

The dimension that I want of the box is 4"x 4" X 10" made in PLYWOOD MDF or other kind of wood

I started by selecting theses speaker:

"Fountek FR58EX 2" Neodymium Full Range Speaker Driver"
Fountek FR58EX 2" Neodymium Full Range Speaker Driver

OR :Tang Band W2-800SL 2" Aluminum/Mg Full Range Speaker Driver

Tang Band W2-800SL 2" Aluminum/Mg Full Range Speaker Driver

the first one is 8 ohm and the second one is 4 ohm
what is better:
-battery consumption for portable design
-Audio quality
-Louder sound

but I want some suggestions about the
woofer passive or passive radiator. I don't know if they are the same. My idea is to use 2 speakers and one speaker for the bass sound. Are some tweeters necessary?

and I need a amplifier too, but I don't which to get... what is better a board or some other thing?

Any other suggestion, is welcome.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi, why did you post in the "multy-way forum" ?
This is a big problem :rolleyes::p

The "2.1" configuration means 2 channels + 1 subwoofer
Which is difficult to beat from a DIY point, as cheap & powerful sets are available - also not-very-powerful but cheap ! The only improvement would be to make the satellites ...and so also the woofer- sound better :rolleyes::p

All speakers are "passive" since they need energy (electricity) to perform their duty. But there are speakers that don't have even the voice coil, and they might be used for making bass-reflex in substitution on the duct .

Strange to say this as we're talking about mini-speakers which resonant frequency is above 100 Hz, and usually we're challenged to reach a fat 30 Hz
from speakers having about 30 Hz res. freq.- with totally different cone - say a 6" not a 1 ":eek:

Ehy ! Where's the bluetooth receiver module ?
:D

hello
Greetings. place it here because I did not know where to put it, he had seen another post about this and I thought I was here ... still do not understand much forum: - /
I've been thinking more about the idea, I searched a lot on the internet and I have a list, but do not know if parts I enable portability and use with batteries, or if power is great for the size I want, I can handle it slightly larger if I get more quality sound. but I do not want compromising portability.

In summary I would like to make three points:
1-The most powerful with good sound quality
2-small to carry.
3- and as efficient as possible, use for at least 8 hours with battery

So far this is what I have

the power:
AC 110?220V to DC 12V 8 5A 100W Volt Transformer LED Strip Switch Power Supply | eBay

the woofer
Vifa NE65W-04 2" Full Range Woofer

the speakers I need some help for choose one.

Fountek FR58EX 2" Neodymium Full Range Speaker Driver

Tang Band W2-800SL 2" Aluminum/Mg Full Range Speaker Driver

the bluetooth
Bluetooth v4.0 Audio Receiver Board aptX +EDR 12 VDC

The Amplifier
TPA3116D2 50W 50W 100W 2 1 Channels OPA2604 80Hz 500Hz Amplifier Completed Board | eBay

or
www.ebay.com/itm/New-TPA3116D2-2-1-...165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9ffe1d55

I don't know what other things would need or if these parties comply with the 3 point I want to make

thank in advance

Last edited:
Oh, there are many examples in the forum, just search for "boombox" or check the "boominator" thread which is very long, but you'll see how the efficiency is analyzed.
Main concern is the power supply. You've got to fix this; the more power you want, the more power you need. This also reflects to all the pieces in the audio chain: you want a better amplifier, better diffusion (speakers).
So to make a broad( in frequency) and audible ( in amplitude) sound you need
at least 10 W X 2 and speakers of minimum 4" diameter for the bass.
Quality is perceived differently, so you may like the sound of a single speaker ( per channel) and I'd say that a woofer and a tweeter is the minimum- 3 way's the best. With a helper woofer in 2.1 system the others ( the satellites) are relieved from low bass.
So from your list I would throw the led supply and get a 12V battery and a charger for it. The speakers'll get you disappointed if you don't know what to get. If you go the 2.1 route, those 2" will be ok, I guess. Then the ( sub) woofer'll deserve a decent box to perform...decently.
In summary I would like to make three points:
1-The most powerful with good sound quality
2-small to carry.
3- and as efficient as possible, use for at least 8 hours with battery

1- Ok, I said 10 W and sound quality is personal taste
2 - Small...how much ? Separate components or one-in-all ? Ruck sack anyone ?
3 - Efficiency collapses when electricity gets conveyed to sound:rolleyes:

Thanks for responding so fast:) contributes to my fever

ok I have been looking and looking at other options just as I know so little about the subject because I understand little but here we go ...
I take the suggestions on the source and I search about it ...

The extent of the box like me are about 4 "x 4" x 10 "but if not possible this may grow a bit. This is why I so small speakers. I intend to do modules divided for parts, battery on one amplifier in another and so on

I have no doubt knew had woofer mid woofer and subwoofer for small boxes ... which would be the smallest recommended?

I think the list can then keep the amplifier (tpa3116) these speakers W2-800SL Tang Band 2 "Aluminum / Mg Full Range Speaker Driver and Bluetooth bluetooth mentioned

could be sufficient de3 inch subwoofer?
which I would recommend these for what I want

Subwoofer Drivers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 14

may be this power supply correct?

12 VDC 4.3A 50W Regulated Switching Power Supply

Last edited:

Hi, I don't know how the TPA 3116 works and how much current it sucks at max power, probably the true data is 20+20+50 W or even less; being it class D = high efficiency, I would expect a 100 W supply to reach max power.
But usually 12 V- 5A is ok for home listening.
I mean, a pair of 10" and 3" with a normal class B /30 W from car radio!

Probably you can do better by savaging a 2.1 system and mount all the parts in a fancy case; check the sensitivity of the speakers because the 2" are in the 85 dB/W/m range and same do the subwoofers- even 3 dB less.
Of corse a 4x4x10 enclosure would be needed for the subwoofer only !
I mean, we were talking about quality....

(4x4x10 enclosure would be needed for the subwoofer only !
I mean, we were talking about quality....)

hello, really sorry the number of questions is that I'm really new at this.

which you consider to be the smallest size can do this without compromising sound quality?

ask this because although I want quality, portability perhaps has more weight in my case. poker if I can not do small and batteries are perhaps the best option would be to buy a SoundLink mini ...

i is not possible might rethink the idea and do this for a living room with more speakers, not thinking about the size.

Last edited:
hello, really sorry the number of questions is that I'm really new at this.

which you consider to be the smallest size can do this without compromising sound quality?:confused:

:rolleyes: if I use a passive radiator, I can do without the subwoofer and this reduce the size? I'm thinking of using this Peerless 830878 3-1/2" Passive Radiator if possible

ask this because although I want quality, portability perhaps has more weight in my case. poker if I can not do small and batteries are perhaps the best option would be to buy a SoundLink mini or other comercial speakers...:(

i is not possible might rethink the idea and do this for a living room with more speakers, not thinking about the size.

It's hazardous to talk or think about sound quality when the source might be compressed mp3 files. For me SQ comes only from a true analogue chain which is turntable ( and arm & pick up ) then preamplifier and amplifier, then speakers placed right in a listening room. Everything else is sub-optimal.

...like the choice of a passive radiator : it has the benefit to offer a larger radiation area than the one coming from the duct only of a tuned bass reflex; but it has to be designed ( mass, compliance) to behave well !!
You cannot place a PR whenever you want more bass : it's not like that.

...or the choice of cheap class-D amplifiers, though they are the only workable amplifiers when you have to cope with batteries and time ( before discharging...). Same for the power supply: can't you find a "classic" transformer ? It weights more than a switching type but itìll give you less troubles = less parts.

...soundlink mini ? for 180 $ you may not beat it !!:rolleyes:

My friend picowallspeaker regret to inform you that my music library is mostly limited to mp3 320kbps many and a few CDs so my quality standards are not as high, to use that will give you. obviously want quality but mostly my mp3 library is'll have to settle for sub-optimal ... even for special cases ... Until the use of streaming:-(

That the Bass you have every reason always want more, to win this depth ... So I have used no idea if it's possible would coordinate a little more passive radiator subwoofer would complete me could place the subwoofer to the front with the speakers and passive radiator down ... As for the other things we needed was watching an interesting thread, (1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine -Project-The-Madeleine / page5) which I think can be replicated using the same parts on amplier power ... Among other only with the smaller speakers and (some would Twetter if not necessary) more passive radiator system may I decrease the space (my goal now is to put it on a diet but of course maintaining a certain value power ...)

As for the mini SoundLink .... I have not purchased because really the idea is to learn what you can about it, and have the satisfaction to design mine, I am an architect ... And we live in this world of wanting to design all It is therefore the idea.

Thank you sincerely for your quick responses and councils are really appreciated
:)

If you are quite new to building speakers one way to proceed might be to start with an existing 2.1 set and modify it for portable use, then perhaps change the amp to be more efficient and as you learn more about what you actually want then improve your system or build one from scratch, based on what you have learned so far.

My first mod was an old Logitech X-210 to be portable and the result was not awful, even though it looked pretty ugly. It has an AB class amp so the efficiency wasn't that great but the given the environment, the amount of beer, the cost of the system etc the result was more than acceptable.

To get it bluetooth compatible I have a bluetooth adapter for headphones :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.