What can I do with unwanted speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In addition to my quest to update my vintage JBLs, I have another set of speakers I don't know what to do with. My main speakers were a set of JBL ND310s until I upgraded recently. These are the big Northridge series speakers with 2x10-inch woofers, a 4-inch midrange and a 3/4-inch tweeter. If I knew how good the vintage speakers I had were and had a good idea for an enclosure to build I might have got rid of the ND310s a long time ago. Now it seems like you can't even give these things away. So what can I do with them? Would one or two of the 10's make a good subwoofer? Maybe I could turn the mid/tweeter combo into a bookshelf speaker? Is there some other way to upgrade these and give them some value?

Or should I just rent a white van and cruise the mall?! :scratch:

I've noticed some sketchy CL sellers will buy a disposable pay as you go phone for selling items - as in no history online for the phone number (I always check) or it gives them away as a criminal from what they are selling. Not trying to change direction of the thread. I've considered doing it so as to keep my personal phone number not associated with anything a search engine will turn up. I don't want anyone to trace back that the owner of this number has a piece or audio equipment worth stealing, etc. Weird text exchanges such as trying to determine if I am at work away from home, etc that might end up with a reply of "sorry for the delay in responding, I was cleaning my gun".
I would never buy audio without auditioning it in a decent neighborhood.
I would say posting on here is a good start - I clicked on the thread just to see if you were in my area. Not that I could afford them, or have space for them or wouldn't be in the doghouse for buying more speakers... Vintage JBL's caught my eye, yes woofers was what came to mind.
Problem with selling things is how much you want to be done with it. Someone, somewhere is looking for a part you have or will be in the next couple of months.

Just caught the white van part, hilarious. My brother fell for that.

I've had good and bad experiences with CL. I tried higher, parity and lower than other similar speakers (really the same -JBL ND310, originals and II) and I'm still looking at them. The CL responders I'm coming to hate are the ones who email to ask if I'll take a lot less, then they want me to jump through a bunch of other hoops. Almost equally bad are the ones who ask, "What's your best (or lowest or final) price? My lowest price is in the ad, but let me know you're interested and actually show up and then offer less and I'm way more likely to take it.

So, no reason or value in repurposing these speakers then?

CL list is mostly miss or hit LOL
on tech goods 87% of the prices ppl ask for junk is just ridiculous closer to new prices for old stuff. so I don't even bite esp on Yardsticks type eg my price is my price click
they want folks drive around to barter on not even a maybe, I don't

They weren't terrible. I've heard plenty of new speakers that sounded worse (even relatively high end speakers!). They just don't match the clarity and imaging of the Focal 836Vs that replaced them. The ND310s by comparison make it sound like singers have their hands cupped over their mouths. I gave the ND310s to a friend who will get some good use out of them. Now I can concentrate on making improved cabinets for my vintage drivers that sound surprisingly good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.