Sealed enclosures for my AE TD12s & AE TD6m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe the volt is much better don't you.

Volt VM752 Xmax spec ±1mm
Sd = 57cm^2
--Bumps in datasheet big baffle SPL measurements
--Second SPL curve illustrates equalization required for smooth SPL on a product baffle.

TD6M Xmax spec ±3.3mm
Sd = 127cm^2
--Magnet reflection SPL droop ~750Hz
--Careful attention to the length+depth design of the upper side bevels on the Avalon style cabinet can change the shape of the final SPL curve such that most of the TD6M chassis reflection attenuation around 750Hz can be compensated. My crude baffle diffraction simulations show the potential of baffle boost to replace chassis reflection droop. (attached)

Any speaker you purchase today can go out of production next year. Your TD6M speakers will last over 20 years.

Attachments

• VM752 Bumps.jpg
    VM752 Bumps.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Bevels and Bumps.jpg
    Bevels and Bumps.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 283
3-way ported with port plugs

Well I have the pair of AE TD 12s, a pair of the ATC 75/150S super Mids, and a pair of the Raal 70-20Aam ribbons. I have a pair of Axiom ports with the port plugs so that I can use sealed or ported. The cabinets are 3.0 cu ft. What do you guys think is this the end all be all. Thanks in advance. My crossover the the 3-way Pass labs XVR-1. My subs are a pair of JL Audio F112 for the 60hz or so and down. I'm thinking about running the TD12s for 60hz to about 400-500hz, the ATC from 400-500hz to about 2800-3800hz, and the Raal 70-20am from 2800-3800hz and up. Help me out guys.

Last edited:
All the components listed are capable of world beating performance. The more important aspect is implementation. Getting your crossover, eq, and room right will take effort and know how. Measurements and knowing what you're looking at is mandatory for optimum performance.

Will sound fantastic when dialed in.

Yes I sure hope so, what would if anything would you do differently? I have a Minidsp 4X10HD that I can use on the JL subwoofers for better EQ in needed. Jim Salk of Salk Sound is building my Cabinets and measuring the drivers for me. We choose not to use the AE TD6M in a 4-way do to the ability of the other drivers. Do you agree of am I limiting myself by going 3-way instead of a 4-way.Thanks

Last edited:
I limiting myself by going 3-way instead of a 4-way.Thanks
From post #140 ======
Worth a read..TD12H + ATC 150S + RAAL 70x40

The ATC SM75-150S Midrange Driver Review by Jeff Bagby
http://studio-hifi.com/images/ATC75-150S_JeffBagby.pdf

"Crossover of approximately 400 Hz between the TD12H and the SM75-150S, and an acoustic crossover of 3 kHz between the SM75-150S and the RAAL Ribbon."
============
Jeff Bagby's work provides enough measurement data to confirm excellent 3-way performance.
Work with Jim Salk to get a low diffraction, well braced 3-way cabinet.
--- Post a picture/sketch of the cabinet to get the best diyaudio feedback
Your room treatment and how you set up your speakers and subwoofers plays a major part in total sound quality.
--- Make a sketch of your room, speaker-listener-triangle, subwoofer placement options
--- You can use free room-mode simulation tools to find the best setup, but expect to make some measurements

Room Response Calculator v0.6d by Yavuz Aksan

https://www.harman.com/sites/default/files/multsubs_0.pdf
Serious Audio: Two Great Articles on Multiple Subwoofers by Dr. Earl Geddes
Dr. Earl Geddes, "Why Multiple Subs" (2011)
Dr. Earl Geddes, "Setting Up Multiple Subs" (2011)

AE New Drivers

Hey guys John has the New TD6M & TD8M up on the website with charts and graphs. Take a look they look great. Would one of these be a better option that the ATC 75/150S. I was just looking at the TD8M with the Apollo Upgrade since it would allow me cross over lower say 200-250hz to include all midrange frequencies. Chime in, this is what we've been waiting on the New AE TD 6" & 8" midranges for a 3-way build. Excited to say the least.

Last edited:
John has the New TD6M & TD8M up on the website with charts and graphs. . Would one of these be a better option that the ATC 75/150S.
The RAAL 70x20XR CSD shows the benefit of a 3k crossover over the 1.5kHz - 2kHz crossovers favored with the TD8M - TD6M polars and cone breakup SPL artifacts as illustrated in my earlier TD6M CAD design in Post #102 and #117. The latest TD6M SPL data continues to show similar polars and cone breakup.

Work with Jim Salk to get a low diffraction 3-way cabinet. Do you have a better design with the SM75-150S dome than the Avalon-style cabinet I modeled in Post #117? Do you favor wide and curvy?

Attachments

• RAAL  70x40XR.JPG
    RAAL 70x40XR.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 214
  • TD6M  SPL.jpg
    TD6M SPL.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 205
  • atc_el150_b.jpg
    atc_el150_b.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 213
Cabinet design

Thanks for your input, we switch cabinet design to clone the Wilson Audio Alexia but with one TD12S woofer with better bracing the added convenience of being able to switch out the midrange enclosure. He's building one for ATC 75/150S & Raal am70-20xr and one for the Audio Technology C-Quenze 15 H 52 06 13 SD & Transducer Labs N26CR2-G: 26mm Pure Al203 Ceramic Dome Tweeter. We decided this would give me the best of both worlds. What do you think.

Last edited:
Comparing the drives

This way I can compare the different combinations to see which sound I like the best in my listening room and sell the other drivers that I don't like or maybe keep both combos for a change of flavor. With the Pass Labs 3 way XVR-1 I can customize the crossover points and slopes to my taste.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.