CSS Criton.2 MLTL build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings from Sweden,

After being very satisfied with the SDX12 subs I decided to also try a speaker kit from CSS.
I love ribbons since before when I have owned a bunch of different XTZ speakers so this kit suited my taste and wallet.

First of when receiving the kit I liked how well packaged it was and shipping was less than 2 weeks from ordering until it reached my door in Sweden. Just as good as the SDX12 drivers.

Unpacking revealed a heavy ribbon tweeter (much heavier than the one I replaced in my XTZ speaker which had failed). The ribbon had protective film attached which is very good since ribbons can get damaged easily you should never vaccume clean or blow into them I was told.
The 7" woofers looks really nice to with a sturdy cast frame and paper composite cone which should sound very natural in the midrange. The surrounding looks like it should have good Xmax.

I should have started building this kit long ago but many things has happened one of them was daughter number two added to the family. So mean time some things happened the kit was redesigned with a new Team revision crossover and the MLTL design was added and now I have crossover design from both the early RAW crossover and new Team edition and I will try them both and listen which one I like the most.

//Mattias Vendel with help from Albin Lyckestam”

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hq

hq

hq

hq

hq

hq

hq

hq

Last edited:
hq

hq

Felt like I needed something proper behind the drivers instead of two layers of mdf... hurricane nuts or similar may in worst case scenario get loose and then you have a huge problem removing the driver.

hq

My first intention was to do as big roundovers on the vents as possible but after a lot of reading I found recommendations and flow simulations showing a radius of 3-5mm has less output turbulence. Tried to find to info again with no luck... may find it again if I take a look around.

hq

Here is the two footplates with a little smaller fotprint (5mm) on the top plate and 5mm in height hopefully it will give a nice touch to the design. Will probably add some holes to the underside so I can hide sonic design feet later on (not spikes) for hardwood floor which decouples the cabinet from the floor.

bild

hq

bild

hq

As told in the assembly guide from CSS 45degree cuts around the driver cut outs for best airflow behind the driver. Did a little extra one around the tweeter too because I like working with the handrouter so much :)

hq

In position

hq

The good and the bad... hours was running late and we were in a hurry to do some gluing and saved time when we didn´t use more the sketched lines to align the bracing not recommended if you want it perfect.

hq

The backsides was not finished so we used what we had to put the cabinet under pressure without breaking it.

hq

Doweling the port and bracing would have been the best option but I found these pieces which had the right thickness.

hq

hq

Better this time.

bild

hq

And gluing on the bottom and top end.

hq

Meantime I removed some wood that was not supposed to be (CNC program missed something)

hq

Had to see the drivers in place :)

hq

Team revision crossover
hq

The layout with the kit templates. I actually received glue on templates but overlooked them in the package so I didn´t use them when I assembled the crossover.

hq

Placed them in the same manner as the printed template but did tighter markings around the components.

Team revision crossover
hq

Here I´m using the adhesive foam tape which will remove any risk of vibrating components.

hq

Almost done just some soldering job left.

-------------------------------------------------------

First edition Al Wooley crossover
hq

hq

Woofer network

hq

soldering

hq

All done just need to solder on the connection wires but not until I have the cabinets at home.

The tweeter resistor is lifted from the mdf board by bending the wire into a small leg down a whole on each side and fixed with a glue gun.

I have one comment to Bob at CSS about the zip ties they are by far the worst I have used they broke very easily so I had to get some from my car to finish the assembly. I work as an electrician so I now which kind of quality to be expected.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.