Beyma TPL-200H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the info. Too bad your first crossover try just cost you money. Still, I think such info may be just as valuable as successes for those who are thinking about similar builds.

As you run it now with Kranis’ new filter, is it with decreased volume as sealed or ported box with a changed higher tuning?

As of right now, the box remains just as I built it—about 2 cu. ft. with a port tuned to around 45 Hz. Kranis suggested there were a number of solutions: (1) make a new, larger box with appropriate box tuning; (2) seal the existing box (to simulate this, we stuffed the ports with foam damping material); (3) reduce the length of the existing port to raise the tuning frequency to circa 60 Hz; or (4) keep the box just as I made it, but run it full range; that is use the electronic crossover only as a low pass for the 18" subs.

Kranis's measuring equipment and our ears agreed that solution (4) yielded a smooth integration of the 12" AE and the 18" Eminence, but only if we used a 12 dB/oct. L-R low pass filter, as a 12 dB/oct. Butterworth filter produced too much mid-bass output. More to save time and money than anything else, I opted for the "full range" solution.

At some point I mean to try the other solutions to see which yields the best results, but right now I'm enjoying the speakers too much to bother!

Hope this clarifies exactly what I did. . .

Regards, Joel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it did. An idea could be to seal the ports and add closed cell styrofoam to decrease the volume and try them out as sealed cabinets at around 0,75 ft³, if your sub works well up to about 110 Hz. (A block of 1,25 ft³ is easy to fix, then breaking it apart so the scrap material fit into the cabinet.)

Just saw this thread. I really really like the MTM/wide baffle idea for HT. :) I may have to steal the idea to use the Beyma driver someday.

What about using an AMT without a waveguide if you want wider? I'm not very familiar with Beyma, but Mundorf units have outstanding linearity and power handling. I would give up a little sensitivity for dispersion if needed.

You also may give up some clarity unless your room is well treated. I would prototype carefully before committing.

Best,

E

that would be world first AMT in synergy horn?
Not sure about world first but I am going to give it a try. I like AMT's over every CD I have ever heard. They will have to be limited to a 30 degree vertical but that is fine by me. 80 x 30 horn is what I will use anyways. Match the TPL's OEM horn and go from there. Was looking at possibly copying the horn in a mould and just making it larger. My aim is a SH96/64 style horn. SO this should be my last uber design for many years to come.

Not sure about world first but I am going to give it a try. I like AMT's over every CD I have ever heard. They will have to be limited to a 30 degree vertical but that is fine by me. 80 x 30 horn is what I will use anyways. Match the TPL's OEM horn and go from there. Was looking at possibly copying the horn in a mould and just making it larger. My aim is a SH96/64 style horn. SO this should be my last uber design for many years to come.

If you can employ the tpl in a horn / wave guide that will not add coloration, and intergrate it by close aproximation of the mid/bass with the amt as to get practically a point source, it will be terrific.

Just don't know if there is a alternative cone driver out there, that is on par with the beyma 12p80nd, that could be successfully employd in a synergy horn...... as far as i know, Danley uses 12" and even 15"......

If you can employ the tpl in a horn / wave guide that will not add coloration, and intergrate it by close aproximation of the mid/bass with the amt as to get practically a point source, it will be terrific.

Just don't know if there is a alternative cone driver out there, that is on par with the beyma 12p80nd, that could be successfully employd in a synergy horn...... as far as i know, Danley uses 12" and even 15"......

I repeat it. TPL + 12P80ND combination is really hard to beat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.