Newbie 2 way design for integration with subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, I'm looking to build a well established passive 2 way design, with the ultimate aim to use 2 x peerless xls10/side (4 total) in a sealed configuration as a sub to cover low bass. [I chose xls 10 because they are cheap in the uk, (£70)]

My design goals were that this goes reasonably loud so I want 90 DB sensitivity for the 2 way if possible. I will build the 2 way first, then get a mini dsp and integrate the subs later (subs will be active).

I have a nad c370 to power the 2 way.

Any advice on recommended designs is welcomed.

I'm not opposed to building something like the mini statements/statements but I figured they would be low sensitivity and seeing as I will be running subs up to 80/100hz the statements will sacrifice clarity vs a well designed 2 way. Feel free to educate me if I'm wrong.

Budget for the speaker (not including subs) is around £600 tops, though £400 preferred. I can but would prefer not to have to solder a crossover.

Thanks for any input.

A number of designs would work well. As Stu says, a fullrange unit would do it. I'm using our own Jordan Eikona in a pair of LS3/5a-size sealed enclosures with a pair of small subs (Rega Vulcan but BK Electronics make a similar model). The Eikonas are run full range (no bass rolloff other than provided by the enclosure loading) and the subs are rolled in at 75Hz. The subs are active.

The only reason to add a MiniDSP to this would be to roll off the Eikona higher up and allow greater output, unrestricted by the need to handle bass.

If you wish to avoid soldering, BK sell amp plates to use with the Peerless drivers - they also sell those and I believe a number of their finished designs use them.

If you prefer the two-way route, SB Acoustics has a good design and there are a number of others around. I believe Falcon in the UK make pre-assembled crossovers for their kits.

Last edited:
I was planning to build the sub into the same speaker (basically a large 3 way, with the bass driver being active). So the ultawu speaker is going to be far too big! I don't really want to use a full range driver, mainly for cosmetic reasons I want a tweeter.

Searching again I came across eminence lab 12 speakers, which I can get for £200 (for a pair) so I'm going with that rather than 2x peerless xls10.

I was planning on making the lab 12 side firing, and to keep the cabinet to reasonable proportions I was going to have them in a sealed box, and probably power them with an inuke (any recommendations on which one? I'm not sure how much power the lab 12's can take!)

So with that in mind to keep the floorstanding speaker reasonably proportioned I'm looking at around a 6-7 inch tm or possibly a mtm design.

I'm okay with 88db plus (true sensitivity).

Is there an established design I can copy which fits this?
Also I was wondering on what frequencies I can use for the lab 12, obviously higher is better with regard to taking pressure off the mid, but with it being side firing I don't want the sound to be changed (I was thinking around 100 hz?)

Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.