Recommendations and suppliers of a 2-way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

first of all, I'm new here but if felt like this was the right forum to post things like this.

I'm a designer and lately I've been interested in audio. I have basic knowledge of building and the different elements to of the speaker Etc so I don't have to be too basic.

Anyways, I'm looking at constructing a 2-way system that I would design myself of course and the reason is that I find speakers often clunky or bulky. They often stand out a lot in a negative way. Personally I find that speakers has developed to a point where you can have a small speaker with a great sound for your normal home and I guess this is where I'm focusing my design.

So my question is; what do you recommend, what building stones would I need? I'm up for any thoughts about this subjects, whether it's active or passive, capacitors, terminals anything.

Also, where would U get the drivers...?
Have been looking around this morning on this forum but haven't found anything.
It's a project that is slightly price orientated so maybe suppliers from China?

Post your thoughts, comments Etc. Much appreciated!

PS. Live in Melbourne but most things are quite expensive here though...

I have a manufacturing thought behind it all depending on outcome.

Yeah, I understand the concept of size when it comes to speakers. A large speaker deliveres more, simply put but the need of a more compact speaker is greater and will appeal to a larger crowd etc. A lot of people live in apartments, or having a nice office where they want some speakers to fit in because they appreciate the looks and the sound of a bit more worked speakers. Size have to be compromised in those cases.

I'm focusing on maximum 8" but pref around 5.25"

Last edited:
Most guys here like big ugly macho designs, black cone speakers; For max SAF I'd go the opposite - slim, curvy design, light colours, white cone speakers... unfortunately white cone drivers are relatively rare, the most affordable are probably Fostex drivers, which would indicate a Full range + helper woofer design for best sound/$
(I have a design in mind which I may get around to once I've got my man-cave system finished ;-)

Most guys here like big ugly macho designs, black cone speakers; For max SAF I'd go the opposite - slim, curvy design, light colours, white cone speakers... unfortunately white cone drivers are relatively rare, the most affordable are probably Fostex drivers, which would indicate a Full range + helper woofer design for best sound/$
(I have a design in mind which I may get around to once I've got my man-cave system finished ;-)

Thx for the honesty :)

Yeah, often it's either one. You are a design follows function or the other way around but that's ok... I'm pretty much in the middle. I just want sound to look better than it does.

I'll have a look at Fostex drivers. I think full range + sub would be ok. It would create a different design but that's ok.

When you buy drivers like that, do you head to the mothership straight away or is there different retailers etc?

What about this?
SEAS KingRO4Y

You could probably chop the design up in 2 pieces/channel if you want to.
I've seen them in real life, they are not huge, but not tiny either, very pretty for a traditional boxed design.

Edit:
There are plenty of coax/small fullrange drivers that can be built into small boxes or run OB. You can also make several miniature subs with drivers like Tang Band W6-1139SIF or equivalent, and just shove them into whatever small space you have, they can fit into many places if you're just creative.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion! The data is quite good I must say but I couldn't find a price. They look like they're expensive ;)

I'm not too focused here if the driver itself looks good or not, because it would probably be hidden anyways behind a mesh/net as they quite commonly are.

What about this?
SEAS KingRO4Y

You could probably chop the design up in 2 pieces/channel if you want to.
I've seen them in real life, they are not huge, but not tiny either, very pretty for a traditional boxed design.

Edit:
There are plenty of coax/small fullrange drivers that can be built into small boxes or run OB. You can also make several miniature subs with drivers like Tang Band W6-1139SIF or equivalent, and just shove them into whatever small space you have, they can fit into many places if you're just creative.

No Seas distributor in Aus any more, you'd have to import them; equivalent quality available locally are SB drivers, distributor Wagner: Speaker Drivers, Audio Speakers & Pa | Wagner Electronics, wagneronline.com.au

Re:"do you head to the mothership straight away or is there different retailers etc" - for prototypes, get your drivers from the local distributor, it's a different game if you're buying commercial qtys though...

I'm originally Swedish and Seas looks like it's an .no company so that I could sort out... no drama :)

Wagner's seems like the site I'm after at the moment, just to browse a bit, getting back into the Audio parts (was a while ago I dealt with all the stuff if I didn't mention that in the first post). Thank you!

What do you mean "it's a different game"?

No Seas distributor in Aus any more, you'd have to import them; equivalent quality available locally are SB drivers, distributor Wagner: Speaker Drivers, Audio Speakers & Pa | Wagner Electronics, wagneronline.com.au

Re:"do you head to the mothership straight away or is there different retailers etc" - for prototypes, get your drivers from the local distributor, it's a different game if you're buying commercial qtys though...

Thank you for the suggestion! The data is quite good I must say but I couldn't find a price. They look like they're expensive ;)

I'm not too focused here if the driver itself looks good or not, because it would probably be hidden anyways behind a mesh/net as they quite commonly are.

Those white magnesium coax drivers from Seas are beautiful! Don't hide them away!
E0057-08/06 C18EN001/M

You can click the picture to see it a little bit better, but it looks very nice in real life! White matte smooth finish on the cone and dome.

You can also take a look at Gravesen's review here:
COAX-18

Awesome, do you know any price of them?

Those white magnesium coax drivers from Seas are beautiful! Don't hide them away!
E0057-08/06 C18EN001/M

You can click the picture to see it a little bit better, but it looks very nice in real life! White matte smooth finish on the cone and dome.

You can also take a look at Gravesen's review here:
COAX-18

Ah, yeah I got an ABN but I'm at the moment at the exploring stage... Good to know though, thank you! :)

Re:""it's a different game" - if you're buying several hundred units at a time, you can bypass the distributor and buy direct from the manufacturer

P.S. if you've got an ABN you can buy from Wagner at trade prices

Yepp, I know that but as I said in another reply, I'm willing to compromise a bit of sound for a bit of size. It might turn out I hate the sound and I have to add a sub etc. who knows, thanks for the input though :)

Well, nobody can change physics. Bass comes from volume; alternatively you can go active. But in terms of effort a very different ballgame.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.