Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2021, 12:08 PM   #881
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Nice. What cutting tools are you using? And how do you cut the compound angles? I have done only 2.5D and some simple 3D on my CNC router. All g-code is made in F360? And the alignment? I would really appreciate some tips on how to make such an advanced project for my CNC. I would mostly need some tips on which tools and which machining strategies to use for the compound angles, that would really help me move forward. Pointing to a tutorial would be great, too. I use Estlcam and CamBam now, might try F360 for CAM as well.
Old 14th September 2021, 06:53 PM   #882
Pyronious is offline Pyronious
diyAudio Member

The compound angles on the lower horn were a bit of a trick to work out a good solution for. I ended up using a tapered bit (specs in attached screenshot) and a 3D contour toolpath.

The design also requires that the parts be machined from two sides, as the tapers don't all face the same side of the stock. I drill 1/4" registration holes through the stock on side A and machine that side. Then flip the panel over, register the part using 1/4" pins, and machine side B.

This was actually the first time I've done a two-sided CNC project, so it was a great opportunity learn how to approach the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-09-14_11-40-26.jpg (493.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 14th September 2021, 07:47 PM   #883
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I will check that bit out. Do you think I could make some more simple angles (like for example for a petal horn) with a ball mill? I must say, If I have not already, your work is really impressive!
Old 14th September 2021, 08:28 PM   #884
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanj View Post
Do you think I could make some more simple angles (like for example for a petal horn) with a ball mill?
Yes, I think a standard ball mill would be totally acceptable for this kind of work, as long as you don't have multiple tapers coming together and meeting at an angle less than 180 degrees (at which point the quality of the seam between them would be limited by the radius of the ball mill).
Old 14th September 2021, 09:05 PM   #885
Domz732 is offline Domz732
diyAudio Member

Thanks again Art
Old 15th September 2021, 07:00 AM   #886
diyAudio Member

Got the cone filler carved today. In another slight departure from the baseline design, I made the filler disc a bit thicker (it comes in at 1.2 inches tall). The profile conforms more closely to the measured profile of the LF driver cone, while still leaving the required gap for full cone excursion.

The section view in Fusion360 was really helpful when working on this feature. The screen shot below shows an approximation of the speaker cone; the cone filler disc is based on the cone measurements posted by Jennygirl in this thread.

The journey continues...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1414.jpeg (930.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-09-14_23-56-11.jpg (658.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Pyronious; 15th September 2021 at 07:05 AM.
  Reply to this post

SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source HornHide this!Advertise here!