Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2019, 05:33 PM   #811
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
1) Can dense 2" closed-cell foam (XPS) insulation be used as cone-filler material? (I think it's commonly referred to as rigid foam board)
2) Concerning part "E": In Art's parts list, it has a length of 15.125" x10.25" and the angle is listed as 43 degrees, but on Fin-Bot's plan layout, it's listed as 45.9 degrees, what gives?.
Is the 43 degrees calculated from part E's own surface, or from a surface that it will be mating? (for instance, the T.A.P. or part "M")
3) Fin-Bot's plans also call for a 45.9 degree angle on what appears to be part "M" ..and Art calls for 34.75 vertical.. (?!?)
4)Concerning Part "D": Again, the angles. Art's list calls for a 18.175 angle, but does not designate in the list, if that's the angle that mates with part "E" or part "N".
Fin-Bot's plans call for a 77.29 degree angle to mate with "E", and a 71.57 to mate with "N".
I realize some of these angles are listed 'flipped around' as in, which face of the board is being referenced, but even then, don't make sense to me...
Steve,
1) My experience with that type of material is any type of machining it will cause it to flake apart. Even if you can get it into the correct shape, I'd be concerned that it bits will continue to shed, the interior is not designed to be exposed.
2) 2.9 degrees, from what you indicate..
3) Oh well..
4) Having sold the cabinets and disposed of my loft drawings, to answer your questions with more clarity would require duplication of what you will need to do to build the cabinets.
I'd suggest you loft (draw out) the plans full size, then you can measure all the angles and use scrap pieces of plywood to make sure they conform to the lay-out plan before making the final cuts.

Best of luck!
Art
Old 16th October 2019, 10:19 PM   #812
wreckingball is offline wreckingball  United States
diyAudio Member

Lost internet shortly after posting, but the answer to my 3rd inquiry came to me 2 hours after I posted, I had glossed over the 3rd dimension...... (turns out, fairly key)
I was also hoping to draw FinBot back out to explain why he did what he did, but alas, he hasn't, and his PMs have been full since I first tried to acquire the updated/final plans ...no doubt from ~200 other people trying the same thing...
(still wonder why he came up with what he did ..oh well...)

Lofting the build and using some scrap balsa for the cone fillers it is then...

I do appreciate the reply Art, it narrowed things down for me, which will help.

Cheers,
-Steve
Old 26th October 2019, 11:59 PM   #813
wreckingball is offline wreckingball  United States
diyAudio Member

What I used for a preliminary cut-list, and how I wasted less wood fashioning Part 'D' ..(that's what the 12 x 64" cut is for...)
I've no idea if this'll help someone, but if it does, then good...
Have a great weekend everyone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg cutlist-optimizer_2019-10-26_18-37 (2).jpeg (149.5 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg 20191026_183638.jpg (742.2 KB, 328 views)
Old 13th November 2019, 03:21 AM   #814
JumeirahSoundSystem is offline JumeirahSoundSystem
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpeakers View Post
Sorry I've been MIA, we're REALLY busy at the office right now and to get the STL and plans done we will put a BOM and other stuff together, otherwise we'll be creating work for anyone who tries plus ourselves. I hope we'll get this done this month...
Great news, thanks for the update! Glad to hear you’re doing well.

Looking forward and thanks again!
Old 19th November 2019, 03:56 AM   #815
MV Audio is offline MV Audio
diyAudio Member

We wanted to post a few pictures of our SyntripPs and give a huge thank you to Art for putting these designs out there! Additionally, we have a few resources that might be a useful contribution to the community here, like a pretty professionally made SketchUp Model of the SyntripPs that should work well for anyone wanting to build their own set on a CNC router. This includes a model of the volume plug for the B&C 10CL51 woofer, and a model of the horn throats, which we also cut on a CNC. Before we post any plans i'd like to get one of the pros on here to sign off on them and make sure we have our dimension right (we may have taken a dimensional liberty or two). We are also using the B&C DE90TN 8ohm that Art sold us. I'll try to get some measurements out for the community here soon.

And thank you to everyone who has helped out on this thread, our non profit radio station KONR 106.1 Out North Radio and the dance music scene here in Alaska is eternally grateful!

Cameron and Kris,
Old 19th November 2019, 04:03 AM   #816
diyAudio Member

Default Build photos.

Build photos from Cameron and Kris's build.

We finished them out with an orange and gray stain, with an Osmo hard wax oil finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E189633-D62A-4347-9EE9-F558F95AFA99.jpg (774.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2330.jpg (925.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2390 2.jpg (777.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 58922793856__5641EA17-8769-433A-9117-1EB797206D61.jpg (738.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 19th November 2019, 08:45 AM   #817
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Very nice! I would definitely be interested in the plans you made, however I do not have the skills to evaluate them.
Old 19th November 2019, 03:34 PM   #818
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Audio View Post
Very clean look, nice work!
Old 19th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #819
mwmkravchenko is offline mwmkravchenko  Canada
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Audio View Post

We finished them out with an orange and gray stain, with an Osmo hard wax oil finish.

Very nice. Nice looking CNC there as well!
Old 19th November 2019, 07:13 PM   #820
diyAudio Member

Default Two glamor shots,

This is my last post of glamor shots of the SyntripPs, it's all business after this. I wanted to show these things in actions.

The first is our non-profit radio station's (KONR 106.1 Out North radio) end of year party put on by the Beats Messiah crew. We took a boat to a remote cabin in Seward, AK and hauled the SyntripPs, an old Mackie 15" sub and a generator up a 250' + bluff overlooking Resurrection Bay...it really inspired us to make some handles on those things. The SyntripPs are ratchet strapped to the top some QSCs, which are pole mounted. Mixed with a 3-day cabin party it created the most precarious speaker setups i've ever seen.

The second picture is our radio station doing a DJ installation at the Anchorage Museum. We ran a series of free DJing workshops for students throughout the 2 week installation. We were running 1 Keystone at the time, should have 3 more finished in a few weeks!

SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source HornHide this!Advertise here!