Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Replaced Audax HD100's with Audax tw025a0
Replaced Audax HD100's with Audax tw025a0 Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2017, 10:28 PM   #11
jkojic is offline jkojic
diyAudio Member

in my direct experience the new tweeters are awful- buy kef celeste 3 and some 4s with SP1068 tweeter and use those instead- very nice about 60 bin the rest
Old 14th April 2017, 11:24 PM   #12
Hvlemmi is offline Hvlemmi  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Those were my observations too. I think how it's at some places sold as a direct replacement is an insult to the quality from the old tweeters at the time..

I've at that time discarded the tweeters and installed audio note tweeters with silver voice coils. The sounds is magnificent!

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for friends :-)!
Old 1st October 2017, 02:26 PM   #13
E30NA is offline E30NA  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvlemmi View Post
Those were my observations too. I think how it's at some places sold as a direct replacement is an insult to the quality from the old tweeters at the time..

I've at that time discarded the tweeters and installed audio note tweeters with silver voice coils. The sounds is magnificent!

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for friends :-)!
I have just replaced a set of Vifa tweeters in my Dali 18mk2 with a set of Audax tw25a2, which should be a direct replacement for the Dali's original Audax hd100 tweeters.
I am not at all satisfied. The new Audax tweeters sound harsh and has to much energy in the very top of the frequency band.
What audio note tweeters have you used as a replacement? And are you still satisfied?
Old 1st October 2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Hvlemmi is offline Hvlemmi  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30NA View Post
I have just replaced a set of Vifa tweeters in my Dali 18mk2 with a set of Audax tw25a2, which should be a direct replacement for the Dali's original Audax hd100 tweeters.
I am not at all satisfied. The new Audax tweeters sound harsh and has to much energy in the very top of the frequency band.
What audio note tweeters have you used as a replacement? And are you still satisfied?
I am still very satisfied, and I would not take them out to replace them with anything. Mind that they're not direct replacements, I had to correct the speaker filter to quite an extend to get it working (from 1 cap and 1 coil on the high section to 2 resistors, 2 capacitors, 2 coils). I can give you a schematic of my solution, mind that it is definitely not the cheapest solution.
Seas tweeters like the t27 perform really well or perhaps you can use 'jkojic' 's solution. Though I can't guarantee you that either solution will go well without crossover changes. Though, anything is better than the tw025.....
Old 1st October 2017, 05:40 PM   #15
jkojic is offline jkojic
diyAudio Member

hey- bit confused- original dali tweeter was audax hd 100?
Old 18th October 2019, 06:13 PM   #16
46bart is offline 46bart  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvlemmi View Post
Dear people from Diyaudio,

I have struggled quite a bit before trying to solve my issue with the help form this forum. I play with a pair of wonderful mission 717's with a bit of an upgraded cross-over. After modifying my amplifier I heard an issue in my speakers. Both have a slightly different version Audax Hd100 tweeter. To solve the problem I bought the tweeter known as the "Direct replacement for...". After measuring I deal with a +/- 6dB difference. The man who sold me the tweeter kindly helped me and we measured an L-pad for the tweeter. Sadly enough just an L-pad doesn't solve my problem.

To sketch the situation at this point, the original crossover is as following:
Low pass: 1,6mH coil in series.
High pass: 6,8uF capacitor in series, 0,20mH paralel.

Simple, yet effective.
The current situation follows this + a 2,7 ohm resistor series, 5,6 ohm resistor paralel. With this impedance making it a 5,8db attenuation.

I can't honestly say that I feel like I need this or that, it's just not 'there' yet, and I'd love to get some suggestions. I made my filter external so I am able to 'play around with it'.

Hope someone can put my tweeter on the right track, I can feel it's 'almost there'....
Hallo Huub,
Bedankt voor je snelle reactie!

Heb je die oude tweeters nog?
Ik heb namelijk een herstelbedrijf gevonden in Belgie, Diksmuide.
Hij maakt zo nu en dan een rondje om kapot materiaal op te halen, oa in Eindhoven.
Ik weet niet waar je woont en opsturen is natuurlijk ook een optie.

Zelf ben ik nu aan het uitzoeken wat de oorzaak is waarom de tweeter niets doet.
De impulse heeft aparte scheidingsfilters hoog en laag.
Eerst heb ik alleen laag uitgebrobeerd, niets aan de hand.
Toen hoog, geen geluid.
Ferrovloeistof verwijderd en opnieuw geprobeerd, geen geluid.
Zou natuurlijk aan de filters kunnen liggen of aan de tweeters, het laatste ligt naar mijn idee het meest voor de hand.
Wat denk jij?
Mvg
Bart
46bart@gmail.com
Old 18th October 2019, 06:18 PM   #17
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46bart View Post
Hello Huub,
Thanks for your quick response!

Do you still have those old tweeters?
I have found a repair company in Belgium, Diksmuide.
Every now and then he makes a round to collect broken material, including in Eindhoven.
I don't know where you live and sending is of course also an option.

I am now trying to figure out why the tweeter is not doing anything.
The impulse has separate separation filters high and low.
At first I only tried low, nothing wrong.
When high, no sound.
Ferro liquid removed and retried, no sound.
Could of course be the filters or the tweeters, the latter is in my opinion the most obvious.
What do you think?
Best regards
Bart
English please Bart.

dave
diyAudio moderation team
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:05 AM   #18
forgemaster is offline forgemaster
diyAudio Member

I found that the TW025A1's sound better after a bit of a burn-in!

Replaced Audax HD100's with Audax tw025a0Hide this!Advertise here!