HiVi D6.8 or D6G, anyone listened to these two drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've been flicking through the spec of these two drivers and to the untrained eye all looks pretty similar, apart from 6.8 is happier crossing over slightly higher at around 2.5kHz as opposed to the G at just under 2kHz - I may be wrong with these figures but I'm just getting used to the idea of driver information.

So the question being if the specs are pretty similar, is there going to be much of a sound repro. difference?

I can only guess the 6.8 may sound a little softer, as the D filled with the glass fibre, a harder material, may sound a little snappier?

Also any other drivers (this size) not going silly expensive that may leave these two for dust?

Many thanks for any thoughts
DC

The D6.8 were used in the "Totem Mani-2" speakers which are well known for their fidelity. I have eight of them ready in waiting for use. They model very well with WinISD and go very low for such a small speaker. Will probably do a clone of the above, first off, when time allows.
There is also a design by "Tetris Audio" (UK) that uses the D6.8 which shows good specs.

Nope.... The Mani-2's woofers were Dynaudio 17W75XL-s (happened to know, I designed them :D), but the Hi-Vi-s (D 6.8) are at least that good (if not better in some respects- they are the woofers in the Forest). Should be crossed over at max. 2.5k second order (no useful output above that), then add a decent low Fs tweeter with 2nd or 3rd order high pass (depending on the tweeter, and your heart's desire....)

The D6.8 were used in the "Totem Mani-2" speakers which are well known for their fidelity. I have eight of them ready in waiting for use. They model very well with WinISD and go very low for such a small speaker. Will probably do a clone of the above, first off, when time allows.
There is also a design by "Tetris Audio" (UK) that uses the D6.8 which shows good specs.

If you have 8 of those woofers, you should REALLY try them in the same config. as in the Mani-2.... (push-pull compound).
Same box size, a bit lower tuning, you won't regret it, you will have an entirely new idea about "what kind of bass can I get from such a small box". But be prepared to drive them hard (84dB/W/m, 3.5 ohms min. impedance), THEN they will sing......

Suggestion of making a compound configuration sounds reasonable
in case a person is very restricted in how big the box has to be.

I would rather reorganize the furniture and use the MTM setup
and get the benefit of extra 6dB in spl and build properly sized
boxes to get the desired bass response.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions :)
So, no one has compared the D6.8 and the D6G?

I'm thinking it may be safer to stay with the D6.8 rather than chance the D6G.
I quite like what I have heard of the Forest, it would be nice to get deeper bass with push-pull, but my skills/knowledge at the moment are basic, so that is out for the moment but interesting to read about, and the MTM option interesting too.

But, back to the 6.8, it would be nice if it had a little more slam, crispness...
From the Forest experience, the top end seemed a little too crisp on one or two tracks..

More crisp than the 6.8 and less crisp than the tweeter in the Forest I think would be a nice balance :-O

I am wondering if it may be an idea to try an active crossover I have running my current main speakers (24db slope 2.3kH xo) with a D6.8 just to see if it gets a little more punchy/tight.. (Swapping out the passive to the active on my old speakers gave a nice leap in control and punch)

Last edited:
Hi dragonweed,
I had thought that I had read somewhere that the Mani-2 used the D6.8. My mistake so apologies for that.
I will definitely go for the push-pull, compound loading as I have already run this arrangement through WINISD Pro using an EBS alignment and this gives an amazingly low -3db in the low 30's
For tweeters I would like to try the pair of Monacor Dt300 that I have with their matching waveguides as they will allow a low crossover point and the waveguide will aid integration with the D6.8 at the lower crossover point.
I have read many great reviews about the Mani-2's and all of them are very positive, so this is a "must do" project for the future. Maybe this winter!

There used to be a web site called The Loudspeaker Designer's Selection Guide (A.K.A LDSG), owned by the late Bob Stout. I recall reading there that the HiVi driver was considered better than the Dynaudio it was supposedly cloned off.

Drivers posted on that site were listed based on users' recommendations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.