Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

HiVi D6.8 or D6G, anyone listened to these two drivers?
HiVi D6.8 or D6G, anyone listened to these two drivers?
HiVi D6.8 or D6G, anyone listened to these two drivers? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2014, 12:11 PM   #21
lemans23 is offline lemans23  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Cat View Post
Hi,

I've been flicking through the spec of these two drivers and to the untrained eye all looks pretty similar, apart from 6.8 is happier crossing over slightly higher at around 2.5kHz as opposed to the G at just under 2kHz - I may be wrong with these figures but I'm just getting used to the idea of driver information.

So the question being if the specs are pretty similar, is there going to be much of a sound repro. difference?

I can only guess the 6.8 may sound a little softer, as the D filled with the glass fibre, a harder material, may sound a little snappier?

Also any other drivers (this size) not going silly expensive that may leave these two for dust?

Many thanks for any thoughts
DC
I own 4 of the D6G and have done for many years. Do not attempt to use it above 2kHz. It has an almost literal brick wall low pass behavior. Regardless of what they say, the D6G is a woofer only. Midwoofer use does not apply.
Old 1st October 2014, 06:51 PM   #22
Deaf Cat is offline Deaf Cat  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans23 View Post
I own 4 of the D6G and have done for many years. Do not attempt to use it above 2kHz. It has an almost literal brick wall low pass behavior. Regardless of what they say, the D6G is a woofer only. Midwoofer use does not apply.
Not what I would have like to have heard, but very useful info, much appreciate the 1st hand experience,
Cheers!
Old 1st October 2014, 06:54 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonweed View Post
So far the Forest is still equipped with the D6.8-s, since there is no suitable replacement exists for them. It seems to me that the D6.8 is not in production any more, because the stocks are limited now and prices steadily rising.
Cheers for that, good to know!
From the little I know the D6.8 has 12 mounting holes, like the D6G, but all the Forest Pictures I have seen, and Forest Signature only have 6 screw holes, made me think a new driver was being used...
Old 1st October 2014, 07:15 PM   #24
dragonweed is offline dragonweed  Hungary
Banned

You are right, that is the Dynaudio Esotec 17W LQ, originally it was an alternative (altough more costly) to the Hi-Vi D6.8, but I guess as eventually the Hi-Vi-s run low on available stock, they were switced to the Dyna-s. While their T-S parameters differ somewhat, the resulting box size comes out almost equal for the two woofers. If you see their response graphs they are almost identical, same applies for their sound, with two exceptions, the Hi-Vi-s produce less distortion at the low end, also their X-max is almost 5 mm (!) more. (the picture on the left is the D6.8 )
Attached Images
File Type: gif D6.8-FR.gif (11.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 17wlq.jpg (303.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 1st October 2014, 10:03 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Cheers dragonweed, Interesting stuff this speaker stuff :-D
Just checked out the:
SB Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4
Wavecor TW030WA05-01
and they look to me as if they could crossover below 1kHz
where as the
SEAS 25TAF/G
looks like it will just start at 2kHz
So the Seas is just about in with the 6.8, a bit tight with the 6G
and the SB and Wavecor will give plenty of wiggle room with either the 6.8 or 6G

Thanks for the info on the Dynaudio, good to know.
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:07 AM   #26
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

________dcr_____ Qes__VC length__Gap height__Xmax
17WLQ _4,9_____ 0,50___10,5_____5,0________2,75
D6.8____6,3_____0,49___15,5_____6,0________4,75

Given similar Qes and less dcr, LQ should be more sensitive.
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:27 AM   #27
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Just a quick question regarding the HiVi D6.8
Some time ago I asked Ivan Leslie at IPL Acoustics a question about his subwoofer kits but also I asked him about the suitability of the D6.8 ( he sells them ) for a Transmission Line loading. He is a very well respected designer of TL's and he thought they were not suitable but did not inform me why.
Any thoughts on this?
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:28 AM   #28
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryo View Post
Any thoughts on this?
Qts is too high. It would cause a bump in the bass response. Actually, a better way to assess suitability is by looking at the efficiency-bandwidth product (EBP).

This is from Wikipedia:

Quote:
EBP - The efficiency bandwidth product, a rough indicator measure. A common rule of thumb indicates that for EBP>100, a driver is perhaps best used in a vented enclosure, while EBP<50 indicates a sealed enclosure. For 50<EBP<100, either enclosure may be used effectively.
EBP = \frac{F_s}{Q_{es}}
Thiele/Small - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the purposes of this assessment you can equate transmission line with vented.
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:24 AM   #29
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Qts is too high. It would cause a bump in the bass response.
Actually, a better way to assess suitability is by looking at
the efficiency-bandwidth product (EBP).
EBP is not a reliable way of knowing which type of box is
to be used. With Qt=0,45 one ought to use larger box volume
than the Vas of the driver for flatter FR. No bump and very good
bass extension. If it's good for reflex, it is for TL too. Simulation
would be a better way.

Put this driver in a closed box without EQ and you will get a
thin sounding speaker.

Regarding post #26, my mistake, dcr of D6.8 is 6,5 ohm.
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:37 AM   #30
dragonweed is offline dragonweed  Hungary
Banned

As I posted earlier the D6.8-s are working perfectly in a Mani 2 sized push-pull compound box, their bottom end is actually better than the M2's. I know it is hopeless to convince anyone by citing personal experiences, but it is really hard to believe what you hear, when you hear them first. So I just try to encourage those who have a few of them around, to build a quick-and -dirty particleboard box (which still wont'be very easy due to its internal structure), too see (hear) what can be expected from a sturdily built version. I am dare enough to put down my two cents on it that your jaws will drop.....

HiVi D6.8 or D6G, anyone listened to these two drivers?Hide this!Advertise here!