TDL Studio 3s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently bought a pair of studio 3s and was going to try and update the x over.

I know there has been a post about this but I can't get any of the pictures to load.

Does anyone have a schematic for them by any chance? I've done a lot of trawling (google, tdl website, falcon accoustics) all to no avail.

My idea is to try and build a new x over for them with better quality components but to keep the original x over in tact (as an insurance policy).

Are the original caps eloctrolytics? what brand of components do people think would be a good enough upgrade from the original. I have a finite budget and would rather try and do it all in for £50-100 max. (which is hopefully a decent amount)

Any thought's gratefully received.

Sorry, no such schematics in my possession. I can tell you though,
no special brand is needed for a filter overhaul. I would buy something
like ERSE, either non polarized electrolytics or poly types depending
on original type parts. It is known that replacing lytics with "better"
poly types introduces less resistance to the signal, so just a little bit
louder it will be.

If you don't find original XO filter schematic, you could probably
trace it by looking and measuring values with an LCR meter
(soundcard and software).

Thanks Lojzek.

I've managed to locate a schematic. But I can't find the exact same values for some of the components. I wondered if the difference will be acceptable?
With the inductor does it matter if the replacement has a different resistance. I'm struggling to find one which is .9 ohm. Closest I've got is .498 but it is the correct mh value.

Also with the resistors I can get the right resistance but can only find ones with a higher wattage rating. They need to be 5w and 7 w but I can only find 10w Is this ok as long as the resistance is right?

Thanks

Resistor wattage is a non issue in your case, 10W of power dissipation
is more than needed. An inductor in series with an 8 ohm driver with
dcr difference of 0,4 ohm(0,9-0,5) will be about 0,5 dB louder. Many
would call it an improvement. Jantzen Audio offers lots of filter parts
and affordable too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.