Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Wow soundclip pretty good "pure - calmness - soft coherent". Could plot of phase turn be interesting.

Ok, I tweaked the EQ a bit more, nothing drastic and it really cleaned up the phase and impulse response. Listening to it, it sounds even better now. The phase is actually linear over a pretty good section of the critical 500Hz to 5kHz range where spatial cues and imaging are important. Probably from 600Hz to 5kHz seems to be without phase wrap.

436656d1409783083-40-full-range-synergy-image.jpg

The impulse response is approaching perfect - still a residual 6khz ringing at low level but not too noticeable.

I am pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 18,831
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
New Sound Clips with New EQ

I noticed that the impulse response tightened up a lot of things. Note the attack of the guitar strings in Dire Straits' "Private Investigations". Dave Brubeck's "In Their Own Sweet Way" demonstrates the clarity of the cymbals and other percussion. Fiona Apple's voice now sounds even more lifelike. Very cool - many songs just sound unbelievable with great dynamic range, speed and clarity.

Attachments

• Synergy-0.7x-TC9FD-05-ds2.zip
    941.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Synergy-0.7x-TC9FD-06-db.zip
    856.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Synergy-0.7x-TC9FD-07-fa.zip
    914.7 KB · Views: 185
I can imagine listening to your line arrays is probably magical also. It is a pretty neat feeling when you can build something that sounds magical. Can't wait for stereo.

Who are you calling ugly? :)

I bet you can't but I am also sure your wait wont be long though ;)

It is indeed a very nice feeling to build something that sound as good as my lines do, however I just built mine based on R&D done by others :eek:

Ugly? ...... ;)

Wow, what a nice sounding system! I can't wait to make a pair of these!

I was going to say earlier on in the thread that I agreed with the sealed enclosures for the woofers so that the Bass would be punchier. I can cross my subs at 160Hz, so the need to go down to 60 is definitely not a concern for me, and that's a lot of work for that speaker to do...well, at least without a set of 8" woofers tapped into the Synergy as well...

...I didn't say that... ;)

By the way, would you mind at all posting the PDF of the curved side walls that you've developed for this horn?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
well, at least without a set of 8" woofers tapped into the Synergy as well...

...I didn't say that...

I would stick a pair of 12in Eminence pro woofers on them if there was any real estate left on the horn panel. :)

Thanks for listening and agreeing that it sounds good. Like I said, it is perhaps the best sounding speaker I have heard. A lot of this has to do with how efficient horn loading the Vifa is. At normal listening levels of 88dB the Vifa needs only 0.54 volts drive and cone excursion is a tiny 17 microns for very low distortion. The woofers are under 0.5mm of stroke. This speaker needs bracing now to remove the sub 200Hz resonances that are contributing to the HD below 200Hz.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
By the way, would you mind at all posting the PDF of the curved side walls that you've developed for this horn?

unaHm,
Yes, I can post the pdf plan for the curved walls - I am glad there is serious interest in replicating this speaker. It really is not that hard to build compared to some others I have made. Let me clean up the pdf and also double check the dimensions of the flat panel that it is supposed to be glued to. I think the panels are 20in wide x ~18in deep with a 2.00 in throat size. I will give "as -built" dimensions of the panel to ensure others are successful on the build.

Last edited:
Here is impulse response.

436662d1409783210-40-full-range-synergy-image.jpg

From this impulse it seems the Vifa starts (upward spike) and the woofers follow in negative polarity (downward spike) to the Vifa? It is often said that the Synergy concept sounds as if it is one driver but an impulse of the single full range speaker in the same horn doesn't have that peak go up and down:
436004d1409484908-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-0.7x-tractrix-tc9fd-cld-325hz-hpf-ir-eq3.png

Just that one spike... Halair's impulse looks a lot like that last one.

So basically it is not quite a time coherent design but it is acting as a point source due to everything radiating from the same (virtual) point in space?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Wesayo,
The up-down spike function is dominated by the Vifa (or whatever unit is serving as the tweeter function). Depending on the EQ used on just the full range unit, I can get it to go up down or down then a little up. In fact, if I showed you the impulse response of just the Vifa full range, it will look almost identical to the up-down one in red. The woofer having a low pass filter of 300 Hz will at most have 3.3 ms risetime. Note the circa 5 microsecond risetime in the first peak and the successive bounce corresponds to 20kHz. At the 3.3ms timescale you can see a much more gentle broad hump - probably corresponding to the input from the woofer. If I had run the woofer fullrange, it would have more dynamics showing up in the IR - but would look bad as the response of the woofer through the 5cm port from behind a chamber has quite a ragged shape.
Hope that explains it.