Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2021, 02:11 AM   #1601
unaHm is offline unaHm  United States
diyAudio Member

Recently I've found myself feeling the need for some more sensitive speakers. I remember building a pair of these out of random materials a while ago

I think it's time to do it properly, and with foam core! One question I did have before restarting the project was, and I apologise for not going through this thread thoroughly, is there a design of the original Trynergy where it can be built as a fully-enclosed box, yet still takes into account the 9 or 11 litre chamber required for the polycone woofers?
Old 18th July 2021, 02:46 AM   #1602
diyAudio Member

I've started on the next set of Trynergy speakers, and given that I'm making a pair it took a fair amount of time to score the concave sides of the tractrix profile. If you have a steady hand, I'd say freehand it...because the last panel I did was about 3 times faster than the first, which I did with a straight edge

@xrk971: I don't appear to have enough Foam Core for the top and bottom, but I have plenty of 1" XPS foam that I can recycle from another project. Given its thickness, is this OK 'as-is' for the woofer ports, or should I remove some in those areas (in and around the speaker mount location)?

I mocked it up, and it looked like it could be quite nice - kind of a 60s/70s look:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trynergy_mock-up.jpg (930.1 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by unaHm; 18th July 2021 at 02:57 AM.
Old 18th July 2021, 07:57 AM   #1603
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

that looks really good and the color combo reminiscent of Acoustic Control

https://i.imgur.com/TdTn1hD.png
Old 19th July 2021, 07:04 PM   #1604
diyAudio Member

I've been hacking away, and made some progress! I've got the drivers mounted (very sloppily (for now), ports cut (I'm glad I made that template on post #264!).

I've wired them together into a single 8 ohm speaker without any DSP, so it's not ideal, but I had to play some music through it. First, It's pretty cool that this is a full-range enclosure..depending on your listening environment a sub isn't strictly necessary. It somehow makes this large horn more unassuming, if that makes sense.

Lots of midrange and vocal intelligibility (I'm using the 6.5" polycone woofers and a FaitalPRO 3FE25). Fun stuff, and a relatively quick build even though the XPS foam was a bit of a pain to work with.

This led me to thinking about paper mache...something that I haven't done for a long time, so I might make a mold for the tractrix shape and see where things go! The side-effect of that would be an increasingly cleaner house
Old 21st July 2021, 03:45 PM   #1605
diyAudio Member

I believe I've made a mistake with this build. Going back into the history of the thread, I noted that the ports were meant to be 3 inches from the mouth of the horn.

However, at the time, I believe we were referring to the 0.70x version of the build. The current build is the full-size horn, so I'm guessing that they should be around 4.28 inches from the mouth. Is that correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg PXL_20210719_185125123.jpeg (278.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 22nd July 2021, 04:48 AM   #1606
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

If you have DSP it’s not a big deal as you can adjust the delays. If doing passive XO, a simulation would be best to determine the ideal location. But there are formulas for estimating where it should be to get time alignment. Look in some of the synergy threads for the details. It can only be estimated because ultimately it is also a function of the small chamber formed by the driver cone and where the voice coil it located relative to the horn wall. But you are fine if using DSP. Your build looks great, btw. Good luck!
Old 22nd July 2021, 02:29 PM   #1607
diyAudio Member

Thanks X, and thanks for the explanation on the port locations. I'm definitely going to take the papier mache route, as we can turn it into a project I do with the kids Time to get the shredder out and scavenge discarded paper and cardboard!

I'll be using DSP for the crossovers and time delay considerations at this point - less soldering for me to mess up
  Reply to this post

Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.Hide this!Advertise here!