Using Coaxial speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Normally we use two 12" midbass & one tweeter with passive crossover. Instead if use two coaxial speakers like 18 sound : 12NCX750H, then the weight & size of the cabinet will be reduced.
I want to know what are the disadvantages in using two coaxial speakers?
Like combing effect.
why this kind of system still not popular?

Why would you use two co-axials to replace two 12"+ one tweeter?

It would seem more sensible, cheaper and easier to me to use 1 co-ax and 1 12" midbass.
Most makers of co-axial use an existing woofer design onto which they graft a tweeter so you could still get two identical 12" if that is important for your design.
Plus the best way of dealing with comb filtering is to avoid it in the first place.

GM

Joined 2003
Assuming a prosound app, most [if not all], of the audience will be in the far field where dual drivers are near enough to being an acoustically large oval point source. Worst case is you roll off one of horns as required and still get the benefits of less weight and greater treble power handling down low.

'Sounds' like a 'win-win' to me and certainly worked well way back when with Altec 604 Stanley Screamers: 1979 STANLEY SCREAMER

GM

Normally we use two 12" midbass & one tweeter with passive crossover. Instead if use two coaxial speakers like 18 sound : 12NCX750H, then the weight & size of the cabinet will be reduced.
I want to know what are the disadvantages in using two coaxial speakers?
Like combing effect.
why this kind of system still not popular?

If output SPL is a problem then just use a 15" coaxial instead, or as Charles described: one 12" coaxial and 1 12" midbass. I'm not convinced that in the case of a 12" coaxial not being enough that the limiting factor will be the compression tweeter, I'd assume the weak point is the bass driver.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.