Tannoy sound bar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted less clutter and yet still maintain 2 separate systems for music and cinema.
Gutted a D6C centre channel and a pair of System 600 monitors, these over 15 years along now.
Kept stock crossovers, one interesting thing: looks as though Tannoy didn't solder or crimp some of the wires to components- seems like they twisted things together and hot glued over the works.
Good idea I guess, the stripped copper wires look unoxidized through the clear glue!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
This was made with scraps and leftovers, birch plywood, MDF , and fir plywood with maple door skin laminated to the baffles , so I wanted a finish to hide the different outside woods.
Settled on a traditional orange shellac...and the old trick of lightly watering the birch ply an hour before applying the shellac- this can add a little "pop" to the grain contrast in a blandish wood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    939.5 KB · Views: 73
Stuffed with about 2 1/2 lbs of polyfill, posted and wired.
This was an easy build, the only new cash outlay was for glue and a paintbrush.
Won't be measuring anything, but the midbass drivers sound more clear - the Oem cabinets were not braced, and barely had damping fill in them.
Get to keep and use these 15+ year old gems, and cut down on living room clutter.
The only downside I can see here is it's making my trusty 50" plasma look small...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.