Please help with speaker rattle!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

Ok this is bad news i've been working on my diy sub for awhile now and during a play session with it the the dust cap became unguled, So I helped it off and was going to gule it back on. Well during the time it sat with out a dust cap a few metal bits got into my voice coil and now when I use the speaker it rattles BAD. I want to fix this, I tryed to pull the magnet off to clean it but could not get it off. It's not a paper cone so can I give it a good bath or what? So how do you think i can fix this?

Thanks Bob

First advice, stop playing your speaker ! If the metal peices inside the motor sticked to the magnet structure it'll be a pain just to remove them... Is there some vents behind the magnet that you could blow some air in? Don't fix your dustcap now, wait until you get you spaker sounding ''right'', then see if you need to replace the whole suspention thing.

This happens a lot with car audio speakers (usually co-axials) I use compressed air to clear the bits out, if their bits of steel they may not blow out but rather back behind the voice coil but usually you can spray the compressed air around untill the bits settle where they don't rub on anything.

Hey Guss and Richard

Yes there is a port but that would not work tape will work for the bits i can see but the bits of metal are in between the voice coil and the speaker sheath (thing). down deep in the speaker. if there was a way i could get the magnet off i could fix it, but my guess is i can not. Thanks

Ok i tryed the suck and blow, it worked a little the stuff was stuck to the magnet pretty well and was not letting go. I got a little out and it sounds better, but i need a way to get all the stuff out to be able to use the speaker. Any other ideas???

Thanks Bob:D

Whats the gap you got arround the voicecoil? Is it large enough to allow a thin coper lead or something to clean the piston ?

You could slide a piece of paper between the structure and the metallic dust you want to get rid of, then work the thing out the motor blowing through the ports you got on backwards and pulling the paper off the magnet. Trying to make myself clear:rolleyes: lol...anyway !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.