Thi is probably a dumb question....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
but i got to ask it

I am trying to figure out how you are supposed to figure out how much power you are supposed ot give a speaker, and at what impedance.

Lets say i had a 100 watt 8ohm tweeter and a 60 watt 4ohm midrange, and they were in a cabinet together. How much power would i need an amp to send to them and at what impedance.

I know you have to calculate impedance, but would the power be 160 or watt?

thnx

The power ratings of drivers are supposed to mean how much power it takes before a driver burns out or breaks itself from mechanical slamming. Sorta. Sometimes. Maybe. But definitely not how much power you should use- that's a function of the driver's sensitivity, the size of your room, and your preferred listening levels.

Impedance ratings are pretty much a work of fiction; they wildly vary with frequency. They're most useful to know for designing the crossover.

Hope this was clear?

Konnan101 said:
but i got to ask it

Lets say i had a 100 watt 8ohm tweeter and a 60 watt 4ohm midrange, and they were in a cabinet together. How much power would i need an amp to send to them and at what impedance.

thnx

Power handling is nominally 60w and impedance nominally 4 ohm.
(assuming the drivers are crossed over to each other)

:) sreten.

Generally I wouldnt worry about power ratings unless they are stupidly small. Any lousdpeaker design software should account for the difference in impedance when you design your crossovers, so subjective sensativities will all match too.

If however you ARE trying to advance on a theoretical maximum, ie make the loudest speaker possible, then you will have to take power handling into consideration:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.