Woofer for tiny closed box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For some reason, probably ease of filtering, these 4" sort of speakers often used 4 ohm woofers. So this one fits the bill for 4L: SB Acoustics SB12NRXF25-4 MidWoofer

But I would give serious consideration to this polycone for 2L or more too which might work on a simpler filter: Peerless 830870 HDS 106 PPB MidWoofer Speaker

These are both closed box drivers. This one is more reflex oriented: SB Acoustics :: 4? SB12NRX25-4

The Visaton Aria Light is an interesting small reflex design too. Easily enough available driver units.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is expecting much bass from a 4L closed box. I hate to mention the "C" word here, but I've got to. CONE Tweeters were what made the Goodmans Maxim and Videoton good! :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's quite easy to import the Boxsim Projektdatenbank Aria Light into the projekte folder of Boxsim. The 8 ohm W 100 S - 8 Ohm works pretty well as a flattish 3.9L closed box or as a slightly boomy reflex.

Some change does the Visaton filter good though, IMO. :)

This looks quite reasonable with the TW 70 - 8 Ohm cone tweeter. I quite like that.

Attachments

• Aria Light TW70 Cone Tweeter.PNG
    Aria Light TW70 Cone Tweeter.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Aria Light TW70 Tweeter.PNG
    Aria Light TW70 Tweeter.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 316
Oh, just as a bit of fun. Here's a 2 litre reflex Pure DMX-25 speaker I have which was part of a budget music centre. It's incredibly simple, just a coil on the woofer and a cap on the cone tweeter.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Really quite respectable sound in the budget bracket. It's got great midrange. :)

It's incredibly simple, just a coil on the woofer and a cap on the cone tweeter.
...snip... It's got great midrange. :)

Aw, I gotta be honest. It's got hideous bass cone breakup up high too! They are making my ears bleed! :D

I think you might get away with this sort of simplistic filter with a polycone midbass, which has natural rolloff, but it sure doesn't work well on a paper bass. :eek:

Currently listening to the middle 6" bass and tweeter with 2nd/3rd Order filter. Not bad. :cool:

Attachments

• Tower of Power.jpg
    Tower of Power.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 200
Cone tweeters have terrible dispersion, but if you listen to them on or near axis they work superbly well. The idea is they deal with breakup modes better than soft domes. The radiating area simply decreases, whereas a soft dome just loses it completely above 7kHz.

I don't know what the perfect cone tweeter is. It might have a little phase plug in the middle. It might be mylar. But stuff like the TW 70 - 8 Ohm certainly responds well to a 7.5R/1.5uF Zobel if the top end worries you, and are best driven by 6 ohms source impedance or less.

Many famous speakers used them. They have a cheapish image partly because they are cheap to make, and were often used with Mickey Mouse first order filters. But give them a proper third order filter and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Attachments

• KLH Model 6.JPG
    KLH Model 6.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 215
Hi midrange.

I'm interested in this kind of project as well but lack the knowledge to properly design all the parts, so if you do come up with something it would be great if you could share the components you're using and other design elements.

I'm more interested in a small Minimus 7 styled speaker that I could hang on the wall. Given this would a bottom port be a possibility (for enhanced low end), one that would still keep the baffle small?

Finally, out of curiosity, has anyone tried to clone the Infinity Infinitesimals? I know that I personally would be very interested in trying something like that!

Rats, Moondog. That is now yet another project for me to do. Many advantages. Only obvious downside is that a precious litre+ would be used up with a separate sub enclosure for the full range driver.
Philosopil, a wall mounted speaker with a bottom port is an excellent model. I have wall mounted with a side port, which is similar. (They are on a mantelpiece) They are 11"x8"x5.5", so bigger than Minimus 7s unfortunately. Ported speakers need drivers with different characteristics than closed boxes, particularly with very small sizes speakers. But this is the place to find out what drivers are best.

I have the SPH-100C, it was ordered for a car install based on my recommendation. Its the 4" with the best low end performance I have heard so far, comparable to a bigger woofer. The breakup is very audible and even if its just 4", I wouldn`t use it above 2.5Khz. Can post some more info on this woofer in the next weeks as I have no measurement rig at the moment, either due to Deutsche post or the people that calibrated the new mic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.