Replacing / building a 3 ways crossover - need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all! This is my first post and I badly need some help. Due to a power peak my speakers' tweeters and woofers had to be replaced, and I did replace them with decent pieces, the problem is that I didn't know the crossover was burnt aswell! After some research I found out it might be the capacitators, but I am still looking into it. Still, simply replacing the caps with similar caps wouldn't be the best idea in my opinion, as the specifications of the new woofers and tweeters are slightly different from the old ones.

Right now my woofers have the following specs:
- Peak power 200 W (120 RMS)

- 8 OHM

- Frequency response 32 - 6000 HZ

- Sound 93 dB

Whereas the (mid range) tweeters have:

Power RMS 75W
Power Max. 150W
Sound 90dB
Resistance 4-8Ohm
Frequency response 2-20KHz

I also figured out the third way tweeters, the higher ones, might be broken and need replacement aswell, but they weren't extremely powerful: it was a pair of piezo-tweeters 25 watt RMS, 50 peak.

This said, I need help with my crossover, which is probably broken (one of the two speakers has no mid range, but the tweeter itself works, the other has no high range and a terrible mid range, constantly hissing for no apparent reason).

Consider that I usually try to achieve 100 watt RMS from my speakers.

Where should I start? How do I check which resistors I needs, or even if I need resistors different than the ones I used in the first place, how do I know which caps I should look for, how do I know if I have to change coils etc etc.
Should I just replace the older caps with newer, higher quality ones, or do I have to look for more "powerful" caps?

A few notes: I know a bit about electric physics but I am not as fresh as I should be, and this is the first time I try to build a circuit, so I have close to no skill in assembling them, although I alredy know how to solder something.

Also, I am a cheapo, as you might have noticed from the not so good specs of the speaker pieces: I am just doing this for fun and because I really don't wish to discard the awesome-looking speakers I have.
So, please, don't throw too much hate on me, I am definitely a newbie ^^

Thanks in advantage for the advice!

UPDATE! The damage was in the capacitators: by replacing them I managed to get the sound back to how it was in the first place. The real problem now is that, due to the power differences between the three channels, I am not able to divide the power per channel. I used to achieve that through an equalizer, should I keep doing this or is there a better way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.