The Traps, a ML-TQW experiment with Beyma TPL-150 and 12P80nd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking forward to seeing the specs on those speakers Mark. My center channel is up next.

You are right about the air rushing around, Having the sub under the couch is quite stimulating, the downside is falling asleep while watch a suspense movie is very difficult.

The main objective of this build was to get a better transition between sub and mains for music, which has exceeded my expectations, I can not hear a diff crossing at 80, 90 or 100 hz for evaluation I listen with my bass or guitar to songs I know and walk though the notes, listening for holes, changes in timbre etc... What I am failing to understand is if the measurement has a drop by 6 db at 82 hz I should be able to hear that. I have gone as far as recording an e chord song on the guitar played both with and without the low E string and listening back. the measured drop does not exist to ears or is it all in my head due the indiscretions of my youth??

What I am failing to understand is if the measurement has a drop by 6 db at 82 hz I should be able to hear that. I have gone as far as recording an e chord song on the guitar played both with and without the low E string and listening back. the measured drop does not exist to ears or is it all in my head due the indiscretions of my youth??

I have good news about your youth.

You canna damage down that low and still be able to hear people talking to you.

So I'm guessing like me your top end poops out. Mine dies around 15khz.

The bumps and dips are a product of listening to music in a room.

And they expose an interesting DIY audio Myth.

A flat line is not what you are after.

In fact a flat line response sucks. ( Politely said of course. )

At your listening position you would indeed hear such a deficiency at 82 hertz. All the more so you being able to distinguish the tones and notes. So fear not. You are simply measuring what you have at the point where the microphone is.

Many a client and many an experiment has shown me that even putting a microphone at the point in space where your ears are listening only gets you an approximation of what you really hear.

Our ears are marvellous tools of enormous dynamic range. Under the right conditions of a true anechoic environment we can hear a single air molecule brushing against out ear drum. ( So says Alton Everest ) That is awesome considering that from that point up we have an enormous range exceeding a ration of 1 000 000 to one loudest to softest.

That little rant is for this statement.

Microphones do not measure as well as ears!

A case in point will be trying to get a good nearfield response from your planar. Patience is the name of the game in that measurement. Minute movements will greatly alter what you get. And yet when you at your listening position they sound PDG.

Be proud of what you have accomplished. Many a very high end speaker cannot pull off what you have done.

It's all about the music right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.