Two-way - JBL 2226H + CD or Beyma 12p80nd + TPL-150?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Leonard Audio Transmission Line simulator is a good tool to model aperiodic loading options for the 12P80Nd.

~80Hz F3 aperiodic
~200Hz F3 sealed

You will need a woofer with either design. You can always plug the aperiodic port after listening/Xover experiments.

Attachments

• 12P80Nd_Aperiodic.JPG
    12P80Nd_Aperiodic.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 631
  • jbl  2226h polar.jpg
    jbl 2226h polar.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 617
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I do not mean to hijack this thread but many of your comments as regards using a 15" in a two way design play directly into something I'm looking at...namely a JBL 2226H crossed over to a 2374 horn using a JBL 2418h-1 CD.

I would think in that combination, a mid driver *may not* be required......

I've yet to experiment with the crossover but horn loading might well mean I can get away with it. The 2374 is not a small beast. What do you think?

I do have a JBL 2206h (12 inch) which could be used in place of the 2226h for the L/F driver in this particular 2 way, but I think size wise the 2226h will be better.

I do not mean to hijack this thread but many of your comments as regards using a 15" in a two way design play directly into something I'm looking at...namely a JBL 2226H crossed over to a 2374 horn using a JBL 2418h-1 CD.

I would think in that combination, a mid driver *may not* be required......

I've yet to experiment with the crossover but horn loading might well mean I can get away with it. The 2374 is not a small beast. What do you think?

I do have a JBL 2206h (12 inch) which could be used in place of the 2226h for the L/F driver in this particular 2 way, but I think size wise the 2226h will be better.

It is my experience that 15" can't go much higher from 600 Hz (give or take few Hz) without compromises that may or may not be serious depending on woofer used. Serious or not, they are compromises that i'm not ready to take.

Compromises are in center of the mid band that all of us so badly needs because there are too much information there to left out any. I was stunned when i made the experiment that i wrote about in previous posts.

Two way speaker was great and it sounded very good most of the time but when i played 3-way next to it i realised that there is too much to loose by not adding midrange.

Don't believe me. Make test cabinets out of cheap plywood and do it like i did. Make 2-way with JBL 2226H and horn with 1300Hz xover and listen to it a while. Then make three way with JBL 2226H crossed over with JBL 2206H at arround 200-300Hz and then add horn with xover frequency at arround 1200-1600Hz. Make it in separate cabinets so you can add midrange cabinet in between bass and horn and it will be easier to set the acoustic offsets for drivers used. Then do the left to right test and there will be very audible difference (and this is an understatement to say the least)

cheers :)

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Originally posted by Zvuchniak
It is my experience that 15" can't go much higher from 600 Hz (give or take few Hz) without compromises that may or may not be serious depending on woofer used. Serious or not, they are compromises that i'm not ready to take.

Compromises are in center of the mid band that all of us so badly needs because there are too much information there to left out any. I was stunned when i made the experiment that i wrote about in previous posts.

Two way speaker was great and it sounded very good most of the time but when i played 3-way next to it i realised that there is too much to loose by not adding midrange.

Don't believe me. Make test cabinets out of cheap plywood and do it like i did. Make 2-way with JBL 2226H and horn with 1300Hz xover and listen to it a while. Then make three way with JBL 2226H crossed over with JBL 2206H at arround 200-300Hz and then add horn with xover frequency at arround 1200-1600Hz. Make it in separate cabinets so you can add midrange cabinet in between bass and horn and it will be easier to set the acoustic offsets for drivers used. Then do the left to right test and there will be very audible difference (and this is an understatement to say the least)
Many thanks and appreciate you re-confirming your findings. I certainly don't intend to replicate your work since I believe you.

The problem for me is that 3 ways are too tall for what I am considering so perhaps I can use the 2206H (12 inch) instead for the Low/mid and try making a two way with the 2206H and the 2374/2418h-1. Crossing around 1.2khz or so should be doable.

I can cross over to a separate sub at around 80hz at the bottom end. It may not be as 'precise' as a 3 way but I have this height restriction that is not able to be changed.

Thanks again for your very informative post.

The 12p80nd flh models really, really nice at 150 Hz, the problem, as I see it, is you get 10-15 db gain from 150-600 hz then are left with a hole to fill between it and the TPL 150, with the big throat it gets squirrely in hornresp. I have been considering a 125 hz a try. But Tqw is working well.

Last edited:
Leonard Audio Transmission Line simulator is a good tool to model aperiodic loading options for the 12P80Nd.

~80Hz F3 aperiodic
~200Hz F3 sealed

You will need a woofer with either design. You can always plug the aperiodic port after listening/Xover experiments.

Line Source,

I am very interested in your aperiodic design for the 12P80Nd. I downloaded Leonard Audio's TL sim software but I didn't find it very intuitive. Could you elaborate a bit more on such an enclosure please?

Line Source,

I am very interested in your aperiodic design for the 12P80Nd. I downloaded Leonard Audio's TL sim software but I didn't find it very intuitive. Could you elaborate a bit more on such an enclosure please?

Attached sims for Beyma 12P80Nd midbass with a short-exponential stuffed aperiodic port, and with a long-expontial stuffed tapered tube. Hope this helps you with LeonardA TL tool.

3-way. Putting the 12P80Nd in a clever shaped small volume, well stuffed box will have an F3 ~210Hz and typically produces the best transients. A 43"H x 22"W cabinet baffle would have a baffle step around 210Hz, which could provide smooth blending of the sealed 12P80Nd with a woofer(18" would fit)

If you plan to use the TPL150(Horn of some kind) you might find useful info or measurements in other threads on a 60H x 40V custom horn that should match the narrow polar of the 12P80ND at 1500-1600Hz for a smooth directivity transistion function.

Attachments

• Beyma12P80Nd.JPG
    Beyma12P80Nd.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 367
  • TaperedTube 12P80Nd.jpg
    TaperedTube 12P80Nd.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 362
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.