Tarkus Speaker - Iniciant doubts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I'm from Brazil and I'm thinking about make a "Tarkus Speaker" by Paul Carmody.
I'm doing the drawings and I have some doubts...
In your opinion it's necessary do make some braces in the speker?

Can you look my drawings and give your opion if I'm in the correct way?

Original Project:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Test 1:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Test 2:

Test 3:

I'm afraid of ruin the original project

Thanks

This is an old thread, but I didnt want to open a new thread to ask my doubts.

I am thinking of building Tarkus and was thinking following crossover layout for mid and tweeter.
The woofer xo has just 2 components and I will be placing them in the woofer cabinet.

For mid and tweeter xo, I plan to use an acrylic plate , drill holes and connect the component leads at bottom of acrylic plate by insulated wire and soldering.

Is the layout ok?
regards
Prasi

Attachments

• tarkus xo sch.png
    tarkus xo sch.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 128
  • tarkus xo layout_mid+twtr.png
    tarkus xo layout_mid+twtr.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Another question,
Can a 25w class A amp be expected to drive this speaker to normal listening levels(75-80 dB at listening position which will be about 2.5m away) without clipping considering music transients. Source would be a CD player with 2.4 V rms attenuated via a buffer with volume pot . Amp voLtage gain will be 12.3.
Just approx / guessing based on yOur experience is all I am seeking
Regards
Prasi

Forget the acrylic stuff, how about a properly etched PCB with 70um thick islands that connect the common joints, with plenty of pitch spacing which double up as circulation holes. Convenient!

Thank you boswald for your reply, So I am on right 'track' with this speaker.

regards
Prasi

Attachments

• tarkus xo layout_mid+twtr.png
    tarkus xo layout_mid+twtr.png
    342.9 KB · Views: 109
Hi Prasi,

Good to see you doing a speaker build. :) But surprised to see you building the Tarkus... it's a good headbanger's speaker - but of course it has other virtues. Btw, I've fancied building a Tarkus from time to time also...

Look forward to more build updates.

Hi Prasi,

Good to see you doing a speaker build. :) But surprised to see you building the Tarkus... it's a good headbanger's speaker - but of course it has other virtues. Btw, I've fancied building a Tarkus from time to time also...

Look forward to more build updates.

Hello Zia,
Thanks, yep, just looking for a refreshing break and re-live those midnight MDF sanding / painting experiences.

Yes, will keep the thread updated, although it will be at best a snail's progress. Just currently looking out for cheapest option for importing drivers.

Yes, I have wondered about Hi-Fi-ness of Tarkus too... But as Paul C. comments, lets see if it can walk the line between "refined and resolving to kick some A$$"

May be I am just a even harmonic addict, as P.C. comments regarding paper drivers. Hoping they just have the sound I like and ready to kick when demanded...

Prasi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.